16. The Second

January 2021

The library was as quiet as it always was, books scattered everywhere and a thin layer of dust covering most of the thousands on leather bound books. At the table in the middle of the book shelved was Marcus, he sat on an oak chair with his noise stuck in a book. The crackling of the fire place the only background noise, other than the sound of flipping pages.

Marcus had only ever found joy in reading. After his lovely Didyme has been taken from him, it was all he could seem to want to do. It was what she loved to do most with Marcus. They could read together for hours or even days if nobody would disturb them.

Marcus lowered the book at the thought of his Didyme. His eyes casting shadows on the wall, the ghost of her sitting next to him. Sometimes he swore she was with him. That she had never left in the first place. In all truthfulness he had to spend his time here, he couldn't take being back in their room. It was still constantly reminding him of her at every turn.

The gust of air blew by him and he smiled lightly. "I haven't spoken to you in a while, my dear." His voice nothing more than a harsh whisper. "My apologies." He tapped his finger on the arm of the chair. "Your scent still lingers on your pillow case and on our sheets. Your dress is still laid over your chair, the blue one that you loved so much. I could never move it. I hardly have the strength. That book you never finished is still on the table, opened at the page you last had it. I wouldn't dare move it." Marcus sighed. "Oh, Didyme." He set down the book and ran his hands over his face. "I can't help but think of all the things I hadn't said. How much I loved your rose perfume and the way you danced when there was no music. How I loved when you scrunched your nose up when you laughed." Marcus trailed off. "Your laugh. It's on a eternal loop in my head." Another breeze blew Marcus' hair around and he sat up straight.

"Nobody could have made me laugh like you. Nobody could have changed me like you did. I apologize for what I have become." His hands were now folded by his head, like he was in prayer. "I would give my life for yours, Didyme. I'd do anything to see you again."

"How touching." Marcus shot up and stood abruptly. His eyes darted at the two vampires in the room. Marcus knew he would not put up a fight. Marcus was ready if they were. If she was.

"Be nice, Edward." Marcus looked over at Odette who had a look of gilt and remorse on her face.

"Somehow." Marcus said, gently placing a hand on the wooden table and giving her his full attention. "I knew this would happen."

"I'm sorry it has to be this way, Marcus. You know that, right?" Odette asked. Marcus merely nodded and looked back at Edward Cullen for a moment.

"I understand, Odette." Marcus begins walking up to her, slowly. Edward hisses but Odette flashes him a look and he relaxes, just a tiny bit. No longer looking like he was going to pounce on Marcus.

Marcus placed both of his hands on Odette's shoulders and gently squeezed them, looking her in the eye. "I forgive you, Odette. For this." Odette smiles and wraps Marcus in a hug. Then her hands snake up to his head and he feels vines wrapping around his skull. The crown, something he had seen many times before, never made much sense to him. Marcus figured it was mostly out of respect but now as her peers touched him, he was in a state of euphoria. Marcus had never felt such a feeling before. His vision was cloudy and no sad feelings could every even touch his dead heart.

Then in one swift motion it was over. Odette dropped his head to the ground and Edward helped remove his arms. Marcus' body collapses to the marble floor, Odette grimaced. It had to be done, she thought. Edward began burning him in the fire place as Odette turned to the table he had stood at just minutes ago.

Odette flipped the book he was reading over and turned to the first page.

The History of Life and Evolution

To my dearest Marcus,

May my love always find you in the harshest of storms.

Love, your star,

Didyme X

Odette ran her fingers over the ink and she felt a wave of sadness for Didyme and Marcus. He had loved her so very much and she loved him back. They were ripped away from each other so fast. Without warning and it was her Aro's fault. The a wind blew around Odette and circled her, she could sense two beings around her.

Odette closed her eyes and smiled, knowing that Marcus and Didyme were now together as they should always be. Thank you for understanding.