twenty-nine

A month and a half passed by before my body was entirely healed. In that time, I felt like I was dead. I had to stay in that awful wheel chair and my mother had to help me get dressed and take showers and baths. It felt like I was a little kid again. I knew I acted like one, but I was sure I didn't look like one. I hoped.

     Lucas confronted school authorities and they decided to expel Natalia for good. It helped that the girl had been known to cause trouble and had been suspended from two other schools for being a complete butthead.

     "Hello? Earth to Kylie?" Lucas said, waving his hand in front of my face.

     I laughed at him, saying, "Okay, so now that you have this—" I gestured to the numbers in front of me, "you're going to have to divide it."

     "What the fuck, why would I divide it?" Lucas told me with the most confused face ever.

     "Because the teacher told us to," I said in an obvious tone. He rolled his eyes, dividing it nonetheless.

Once he got the answer right after five attempts, I gave him a peck on the cheek as an award. His face turned red and I chuckled at how flustered the small kiss made him.

     School was much nicer with Natalia gone and a lot of people chatted happily among the school hallways. Although there were a few snide people who decided to call Jackson and Ashton the homophobic "f word," but one glare from Lucas was all it took for them to shut up.

     Lucas was on top of the school hierarchy
respected his decisions. It was kind of stupid in my opinion but then again, school hierarchies had been a thing since the beginning and there was no stopping them now. You kind of just had to accept it.

     Lily and Damien were happy together as well and it seemed like after so much hell, things were finally starting to come together in what seemed like years but it was only months. To think all of it happened in this school year seemed weird and there were still a few months left of school that I wouldn't let go to waste.

An hour later, we finished tutoring for the day and Lucas pouted as I walked down the fancy stairwell. I giggled at how childish he was acting. As much as I wanted to stay, I couldn't.

"Come on, can't we watch a movie before you go?" Lucas asked, dragging out 'go' with the same pout plastered onto that cute face of his. "It's my birthday tomorrow!"

     I smiled at him. I was fully aware that his birthday was tomorrow and that was exactly why I needed to leave. Jackson, Lily, Damien, and Ashton were going to throw a surprise party since he had never had a birthday party in his life. Even Genevieve, his little sister, was in on it too.

     It was kind of sad to think about, but I was really excited to see the look on his face when it all happens. He wasn't used to people doing anything thoughtful for him since his family is full of a bunch of rich jerks.

     "Sorry, but I have something I have to do," I said, making up an excuse. "My mom will not let me slide by it." It wasn't a lie though— my mom would kill me if I missed planning. After I told her about him never having a birthday party, she was on the plan as much as the rest of us were.

    "I guess," he said with a small sigh, his eyes filling with sadness. It was cute how much he showed his love. "But call me after you're done. I'm gonna miss you."

     "Lucas, it's only for today. Tomorrow is Saturday and we can do whatever you want then," I explained to him and kissed him on the lips.

     "I'm still gonna miss you," he said and I told him I'd miss him as well.