Chapter 3

Mary

Mary knew that today, the new Ambassador of Tibera would be arriving, together with his household. She knew his name already; Lord Alfred Padille, a member of the Borghese high society, a man of great intellect and learning. And he had travelled, all around Hi’taab, and a little further, learning of different cultures and people. He was one of the most highly esteemed young men of the Tiberan court, it was said, the only one who would do for such an important position as the one he now held.

Mary pleaded with the gods that he was the way he sounded, and that he would be able to help her and council her as her brother’s emissary.

She was kneeling by the central table of the Temple of the Sun. The hundred flickering candles occupied her eyes as the letter in her pocket occupied her thoughts. There was not much time until she had to return to her chambers and change for dinner, but she stretched this moment of solitude and quiet as long as she could.

She was back in her apartments two hours before the feast would commence. Philip was there, returned from the hunt, bathed and shaved. She smiled when she saw him.

“How was the hunt?” she asked, sending a glance to the servants so that they could have a moment alone. They were rare these days; outside of the doors to their private chambers, all eyes were on them. Half the court suspected her of supporting the minor rebellions on the countryside.

He wrapped his arms around her. “Good, although the King seemed to dislike the Ambassador.”

“Oh,” she said, not really caring for what the King thought. In her eyes, he might be dead and it would not make a difference - neither a good one nor a bad one. “And how did you find the Ambassador?”

“He seemed entirely sensible,” he said. “I spoke to him only briefly, and our entire conversation was focused on praising you, so I think we’ll get along well.”

She smiled and allowed him to kiss her. “You definitely have something in common,” she said with a smirk.

 He chuckled. “And how was your day?”

Her heart sank a little. She knew he wanted her to spend more time with other people, but she could not bring herself to do it. Attending court was not as pleasurable as it had been, once when she was liked and no one suspected her of anything. “I read and went to the Temple,” she told him. “Lady Victoire Baldwin was there, and we spoke for a while.”

“How is she?”

“Of good health, and pregnant, so I should say she’s very happy.”

Philip smiled and caressed her own growing belly. Before the doctors confirmed her pregnancy six months earlier, she had never understood why a woman so wanted a child. Of course, heirs were needed, but she had never looked at children with the same warmth and eagerness as other women.

Now, when she felt it grow within her, her mind was changed. She was filled with such energy, such a will to live, and it amazed her. Every time pregnancy was mentioned, she was filled with joy and felt Philip’s happy gaze upon her. Seeing him smile in anticipation at children that played in the courtyard only made her yearn that much more for the day when she could hold their own child in her arms.

“What are you thinking of?” he asked her, brushing his nose against hers.

She smiled. “Nothing,” she whispered before sealing their lips together. She let him deepen it until she felt his lips grow hungry and she had to pull away because they simply did not have time for that.

She washed and dressed. On this evening, she made sure to wear her best jewelry. As a lady-in-waiting, she and the Queen’s other ladies had coordinated their dresses for this event. They had settled on a pale dress with white pearls.