Chapter 11

Elizabeth

Autumn seemed to arrive even quicker when you were traveling north; it seemed as though the passing of seasons was sped up through the window of her carriage.

When she arrived in Brightsnow, there was already a thick layer of white covering the landscapes, though that did not say much. Just a little further north, you had summer snows that melted the moment they hit the ground.

Queen Anne of Noweria, Caterina’s second oldest niece, welcomed her in front of the castle. Elizabeth faintly remembered it from before the war - the dark, low-built castle, like a maze stretching out wide rather than rising high, like the castles in the south.

Anne was also the most beautiful of the Renell daughters. Her skin was pale, her eyes pale and blue, and her black hair shone. Even in old age, she had only few wrinkles, and they were around the corners of her lips and eyes, and she remained slim of build after the birth of three children.

She smiled when Elizabeth exited her carriage, walked to her with quick, small steps and took both of Elizabeth’s hands in both of her own. “Welcome, Your Grace, to my humble home.”

Elizabeth returned the smile. “I thank you for your hospitality.”

“Let’s not stay out here, in the cold,” she said, wrapping her arm with Elizabeth’s. “You are used to warmer climate, after all.”

Elizabeth noticed that they both wore crowns - not their coronation crowns, but still crowns. They were both Queens of their own kingdoms, although she knew that Anne had given most of the governing power to her husband, George. The North were known to hold on to traditions almost as well as they held on to their grudges.

He, too, was very handsome, even in old age. He welcomed Elizabeth with the same warmth as his wife before leading the way into the castle.

“How are your children?” Elizabeth asked, trying to make her tone as friendly as possible.

Anne was much better at that. “Oh, they are marvelous,” she chattered. “My oldest, George, is in the Pinelands. His younger brother just joined him. And my youngest daughter is just two years old, but she already speaks and walks. I’m trying to find her a tutor. After all, it won’t do to give her the same one as the boys.”

“No, it wouldn’t,” Elizabeth agreed without much thought.

“And what about you?” Anne asked, tugging at Elizabeth’s arm with amicable insistence. “Are there any children on their way?”

Elizabeth looked down at her moving feet, managing to hold on to her smile, but only just so. “Not yet. I blame it on the pressure of ruling a country.”

“It can be very stressful,” Anne agreed, “which is why I left it to my husband. It is my greatest joy to give life to his children - don’t get me wrong, I believe women are more than capable of other jobs, but… I do love my children, and my husband is very capable.”

Elizabeth smiled, this time, for the first time, a real one. “I’m very happy for you.”

Anne stopped at a door. “This is your chambers. I hope they are to your liking.”

“I’m sure they will be,” Elizabeth said. “In any case, I’m not staying for long.”

Anne nodded. “Well, there will be dinner soon. I was hoping you might join me and my husband in the Great Hall. After that, I suggest you get some rest. It’s hard to travel through Noweria at this time of year.”

Elizabeth thanked her before entering her chambers. She called for a bath and dressed for dinner. That night, she ate with some of the lords of the North, who all welcomed her with respect, and two day later, she left again, this time with King George and Queen Anne following her.