Chapter 19

Joshua

“It’s right this way,” the guard said.

Joshua hardly had time to listen, he was so busy taking in the magnificence of the inside of Westhall - and much less to place on foot in front of the other without stumbling. Every wall was a masterpiece, and the expressive and confusingly realistic statues hiding in niches along the hallway made him want to stop and gape up at them for hours on end.

“Lady Cecily is waiting for you in her solar,” the guard explained as he turned down a narrower corridor. Halfway down it, he stopped. “It’s in here.”

The door opened to allow him into a lavishly decorated room. It was brightly lit by the sun, which spilled through tall archways that led out onto a balcony. A round table with four chairs around it stood in the middle, and large, detailed paintings adorned the walls. Joshua noticed that they were all painted in an older, more realistic style than the newest waves in the artistic society, and that they all had symbolic, religious motives.

Sitting in one of the chairs was the Lady Cecily. The intricate pattern of pearls and thread on the bodice of her dress put the details on the paintings to shame. She smiled and stood up. Her movements were languid, like water in a large, old river. “You must be Joshua,” she said, approaching him. Her voice was at once beautifully feminine and drawling.

“Yes, milady,” he said.

Her hand flew out into a long, lazy gesture. “Please, have a seat.” Once they were both seated, she continued. “Your master told me that you are very skilled for your age.”

He lowered his gaze and forced himself to not acknowledge the pride her words brought forth. “The Sun has gifted us all. I can only hope that what he has given me will be of use to you.”

“I saw you noticing my paintings,” she said, after a moment. “Do you appreciate beauty?”He nodded. “I believe the gods may appear in our world in many forms and shapes. One of them is through art and beauty.” He dared a look up at her, and found that she was still smiling.

“I think you will do just nicely,” she told him. “I’ll have one of my servants take you to your chambers - in my apartments, of course - and show you to the Temple. It can be a bit hard to find you way around in the beginning, but you’ll get used to it.”

“Thank you, milady,” he said.

“Just call me Cecily, please.” Her hand waved in the air, as though to wave away the idea of formal titles.

He frowned. “Are you sure?”

“Yes.” She sounded amused. “If it is not enough reason that I prefer being called by my name, then add on top of that the fact that you aren’t pronouncing ‘my lady’ correctly. It’s quite annoying, actually.”

He blinked. “I’m sorry, m— Cecily.”

“Don’t worry about it,” she said. “I’ll help you correct it before you have to face anyone but me from the court. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go have lunch with Lady Mary and some other acquaintances.”

“You’re talking about the Lady Mary?” he asked before he could stop himself.

Luckily, she did not seem bothered by his outburst - but then, she had not seemed bothered by his pronunciation until she told him. “Yes, the Lady Mary.”

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I did not mean to…”

She shook her head. “Please, do not worry about it. You’re my Private Servant, and I need you to be able to speak freely around me.”