Chapter 10

Mary

When Joanna entered Mary’s chambers, her mouth fell open in shock. “My lady, you cannot wear that. It’s far too fine for what we’ll be doing today.”

Ever since her involvement in the escape of Sybil, Joanna had worked as handmaiden for Mary. She was a confidante when Mary needed one, but, more importantly, she was Mary’s eyes and ears to world of the commoners.

Mary lifted the skirts of her dress and frowned. “I assure you, this is the cheapest dress I own.”

Joanna let out a sigh. “It’ll just have to do.”

As they left the castle together, Mary once more thanked her for her help.

“It’s no issue for me,” Joanna said. “It’s an honor.”

Mary watched saw the hint of a blush on the other woman’s face. The winds were growing colder and harsher, but it was not that cold. However, it was not news to Mary that Joanna was uncomfortable with receiving praise.

Joanna was as tall as Mary, which was tall for a commoner, and she had wiry, dark blonde hair. Her eyes had a pretty blue color and her nose was straight and her neck slender, but her lips were thing and her face a bit rectangular.

“How is it going with you and John?” Mary asked.

Once more, Joanna blushed. “Good.”

Mary raised an eyebrow. “What does ‘good’ mean?”

“It means good,” she said shyly and made a sharp turn to the left. “It’s in here.”

They entered a small courtyard. The smell of food was thick in the air, and it only grew strong as Joanna led Mary to a wooden door. On the other side, they found a kitchen. Two busy women were moving around restlessly, each at work with some stew and with cutting up and drying some meat.

“Lisa?” Joanna said, approaching one of the women.

Lisa looked up. She was rather fat, with a red face and strawberry blonde hair. “Joanna, what is it?”

“Lisa, I want you to meet Lady Mary,” Joanna said. “I told you she’d be coming today.”

Her eyes widened in shock as they traveled to the only newcomer in the room. “Oh, milady, I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you…”

“It’s quite alright,” Mary assured her. “Joanna told me you were busy. I can see that wasn’t a lie.”

Lisa blinked and averted her eyes. “Milady, I really don’t know if this work is proper for you.”

“You don’t think I’m capable of work?” Mary asked.

Lisa quickly shook her head, bowing it in a sign of respect. “Of course not, milady.”

“Good,” Mary said. “Then I don’t see any reason why this work should not be proper for me.”

She swallowed. “As you say, milady. Perhaps you could… stir the porridge?”

Mary looked at the stew, and then back at Lisa. “Of course,” she said and went to take the large ladle from the side of the pot. “So, how many mouths do you feed?”

“Usually around fifty,” Lisa said. “Joanna, could you help me with the carrots?”

Mary watched as Joanna began cutting up the five carrots she was handed. Once the rot had been cut away, there was not much left.

“Fifty people?” Mary asked, slightly shocked. “Is this enough for them all?”

“More than enough,” Lisa said, as she pulled out some potatoes that were, if possible, in an even worse state than the carrots.