Chapter 22

Mary

“It is official,” Alfred announced as he entered Mary’s solar. “The Queen still doubts your loyalty.”

Mary groaned and let her head fall back while Bianca frowned and said, “Still?”

“In the meeting today, she all but accused you for having contact with the rebels. She came very close to claiming that you’d been the one to unite them as an army. Had Jamie not stopped her, I don’t doubt she would have claimed you came up with their name.”

“That is ridiculous,” Bianca laughed before raising one hand and pointing a finger in the air. “But in her defense, it might also be a very clever insult. I mean, The Freedom Army? It’s not exactly inspired.”

Mary laughed before turning to Alfred. “I really thought my act at the trial would have made more of a difference.”

“Oh, it made a difference,” he said, nodding with conviction. “It was a stroke of genius. For you, that is, it was was a strike of genius. For Elizabeth, it was just an embarrassment, and it will take a lot before she can allow herself to drag you to court again.”

Bianca laughed again. “But wouldn’t it just be priceless if she did?”

“Yes, I’m sure I would not be able to control my laughter,” Alfred said through clenched teeth. “If you’ll excuse me, Elizabeth actually asked to meet me.”

Bianca leaned forwards, quirking an eyebrow. “Perhaps she’ll arrest you instead?”

He did not reply, only bowed and left. Once he had gone, Bianca leaned back in her chair.

“He doesn’t particularly like me, that one,” she said. “Perhaps it runs in the family.” She tilted her head, as though truly considering the notion. “In that case, it’s only the men, because his mother adores me.”

Mary smiled. “Perhaps you should try to take him seriously once in a while.”

She narrowed her eyes in a parody of consideration. “I don’t think he would speak the way he does if he wanted to be taken seriously.” She shrugged. “Anyways, now that he has left, I think I shall do the same.”

Mary watched her stand up. “Who is he this time?” she asked.

Bianca quirked an eyebrow. “You’re usually too proper to speak of such things.”

“But in the past few months, it’s been the same man, hasn’t it?” Mary asked.

Bianca nodded, just a slight movement of her head that could have easily been missed.

“If you are in love, then at least I can understand your sin.”

She let out a coarse laughter. “Just because he’s good enough to keep my attention for longer than a couple of weeks, doesn’t mean I’m in love.”

Mary smiled. “Even so, I understand it better.”

A smirk crawled onto Bianca’s features as she moved to the door. Just as she was about to exit, she turned around to look down at Mary. “Will you be just as understanding when I tell you he is a Servant?”

Mary’s smile fell from her face in shock, and by the time she had recovered, the door had already fallen closed.

Because she had nothing else to do, she went to the Temple to pray. In the past couple of months, she had begun favoring the way of prayer that Cecily’s Servant had showed her. Not only was it a different focus that you got, but the position was also more comfortable and it even helped with the back pains she had felt ever since her pregnancy.