Reassuring

Closing the chamber door behind you, the world felt surreal. It was only you and Sandor. The sudden quietness made your ears ring intensely. Sandor had started removing his armor as you turned to the fireplace to provide the room some late-night heat and light. Standing before the fire removing your clothing, you heard Sandor grunt as he got into bed, lazily dragging your shared duvet over his torso, his big frame was taking up most of the space in the fairly sized bed. The feeling of heat coming from the fire on your now bare skin made you feel drowsy. You tiptoed your way over the cold floor and jumped into bed beside Sandor, sliding some of the duvet over your body. Sandor adjusted his position, giving you more space. He wrapped his long arm around your shoulders and tucked the duvet over the two of you, letting no cold air seep into the cocoon that was your bed. You lay by his side, taking in his warmth, enjoying the silence and his presence.

Looking up at Sandor resting, you placed a kiss on his cheek. "I'm glad it's all over," you said, happy you had both made it out alive. Words couldn't describe your feeling of relief.

He opened his tired eyes to look at you. He was quick to plant a passionate kiss on your lips, putting his hand on the back of you head, bringing you closer. Breaking the kiss, he looked at you with sad eyes.

"I'm sorry," Sandor started, "I should never have left your side out there."

You didn't blame him for withdrawing during the battle. Fire was his biggest weakness, his biggest fear. You were just grateful the two of you survived the battle.

"Don't say that," you shook your head. "You saved my life out there, more than once. You saved Arya. You helped save mankind," you continued reassuring him.

"Beric helped save the girl," Sandor spat, not accepting your credit. His arm flopped down on his stomach, and he turned his gaze to the ceiling.

"Beric wouldn't have been able to save her without you," you stated, trying to make him see his victories.

"Beric died," he said, "I didn't manage to save him."

"It was about damn time though; don't you think?" Sandor chuckled at your slightly foul comment. He tightened his grip around your shoulders to bring you closer, pecking your lips again.

"You're right," he said. Even though Sandor never cared much for Beric, you knew his death had some kind of impact on him. "He was a tough son of a bitch. He fought well."

You sighed at the thought of Beric being gone for real this time. "He did."

You put your head on his chest and wrapped your arm around Sandors torso, falling asleep to the feeling of his hand stroking your back.