The Wind (pt. 3)

The three of you had gotten on with your trip first thing in the morning as usual. After a few hours on the road, you had stopped by a river beside the road for a small break before finding a place to spend the night.

As you were letting your horses have a sip of water, you saw an old man and a young girl came by on a carriage being dragged behind a horse.

"Seven blessings to you," the old man greeted you, making Arya and Sandor turn their heads towards the man on the road.

"What the fuck do you want?" Sandor was quick to answer the man.

"What are you doing on my land?"

"Well it's my land, I'm standing on it."

You were quick to intervene with the conversation, afraid that Sandor would get himself in trouble with his rude attitude.

"We're just watering the horses, we'll be on our way," you said to the man, giving Sandor a warning look. "Excuse my husband, he was wounded in the war. He hasn't been quite the same since. We barely made it out alive; he barely managed to save our daughter from our burning cottage." You put your hand on Aryas back and you could feel her posture stiffen. "You should've seen him, running into the flames to save her." The man's facial expression went soft as you finished your little introduction. Looking back over at Sandor, he looked confused, but he went with it.

"I'm so sorry," the man said. "What house did he fight for?"

"The Tullys of Riverrun," you said shooting your shot.

"Any man who has bled for House Tully is welcome on my land," the man said and sighed. "There's a storm coming. You'll be wanting a roof tonight." As the words left the man's mouth Aryas face shot up to look at you, a smile on her face. "There's fresh hay in the barn. And Sully here makes rabbit stew like her mother used to do," the man said and looked at the girl beside him, who apparently was his daughter. "That'd be greatly appreciated," you said and bowed your head in appreciation, keeping up the kind persona.

"Our cottage is right up ahead," he said and nodded his head forward and got on his way.

As the man was out of sight, both Arya and Sandors heads shot towards you.

"I knew it was a good idea bringing you along," Sandor said, looking at you. "You've done that before."

"I've worked with people my whole life, I know my way around them," you said and smirked. "Let's go. And remember to keep up your personas, we don't wanna get in any unnecessary problems," you said as you got back on your horse.

You arrived at a house, tied up your horses and went inside. As you opened the door, the old man was putting wood in the fireplace and the girl was standing in the kitchen preparing dinner.

"Ah, there you are," the man said and turned to face you. "Please, have a seat. My daughter is making us some dinner."

The three of you sat down by the table and waited for the food. The old man sat down opposite you. "So, how old is your daughter?" the man asked you and Sandor. You quickly realized none of you actually knew how old she was.

"I'm 13," Arya quickly answered.

"Right. They grow up so fast, don't they," you said, playing along the best you could.

"Right," the man chuckled. "Not much of a talker, your husband."

"No, he's uh... he was badly wounded in the war, you see," you said and looked at Sandor. You had figured he was better off keeping his mouth shut.

"I see. And how long have you been married?"

"Oh, I don't know, how long as it been, love?" you said and put your hand over his hand resting on the table. Sandor looked stressed out and almost offended. You figured you might as well have your fun annoying him with your little role-play. "Seems like a bloody lifetime, if you ask me."