Chapter I - The Gaze

Word count: 1581

A black suit, white polo matched with green necktie, and a pair of black slacks to complete his outfit, Louis looked at the mirror to examine himself.

He scrunched his face. It's not that he doesn't wear this type of getup, he's just willing to do jeans and pants partnered with his brown trench coat more.

But who wears shirts and jeans at a party? Especially a party that was hosted by England's royal family, the Marsh of St. Germans, and adding the fact that he is one of the musicians playing for the ball.

Louis prepared for this day, or that's what he thought. His fingers are shaking and he is now doubting himself if he would be able to tickle the ivories properly for tonight. But he shook off the idea, and took a deep breath to calm his nerves. Nothing will come good if he kills his own confidence.

"Hey Lou, you in there?" a familiar voice came from the door followed by a knock. Louis opened the door and welcomed the man inside the room. "Oh Marlon, what's up?" Louis asked as he closed the door.

"Nothing, just checking up on you. I can't wait for my friend to show of his talent tonight," Marlon replied happily as Louis observed his waiter's uniform. "You're lucky to have your own room, I guess they are really fond of musicians a lot, huh?" he added.

Louis chuckled, "Yeah, I guess so. But I wouldn't be here if it wasn't because of you." Marlon worked as a servant long before he suggested Louis to apply as a pianist for the royal family. He owes Marlon a lot for this job.

"Have you met the whole family yet?" Marlon asked as Louis checks his clothes. "Yeah, except for their distant relatives and the daughter of King Ed and Queen Diana. I forgot her name though. Clarise? Cloma? Clem---" "Clementine. You have lived in this country for a long time yet you don't know her name?" Marlon cuts off.

"Because, I'm not interested in royal shit and their knick knacks," Louis answered. "Whatever. Miss Clementine it is. Never got the chance to meet her since five days ago. I'm always practicing the piece with the other musicians. Her family is nice though, is she?"

"Miss Clementine is nice, but she doesn't talk that much. She's always with Lee, her personal butler." Marlon answered. "However, when she looks at you, it feels like she's also looking through your soul." he added.

"Why? Is she a witch or something?" Louis chuckled at what he said. "Dumbass, you should watch your mouth when you're here." Marlon commented.

Louis just shrugged but he cannot deny the fact that he felt a little nervous about Marlon's description about the daughter of the royals. He just wished that he wouldn't meet or interact with her. At least not tonight.

"Anyway, we need to go downstairs, the party would start soon." Marlon said as he looked at his watch resting on his wrist.

After checking himself one last time on the mirror, Louis opened the door and the two men went out of the room.

In the hallway, they met Louis' fellow musician, Sophie, a violinist. "Hey Louis, looking good tonight." she said with a hint of flirting at her voice.

Sophie is wearing a white, lustrous backless long gown, the right side of her red hair pinned with a white hair clip. She smiled sweetly at both of them, however, her eyes were locked on Louis.

"Umm yeah, thanks. Y-you, too." Louis timidly replied. Marlon gave him a suggestive look. However, he just remained quiet. "There's no time for flirting back, I'm not interested at her anyway." he thought to himself.

After that, they headed for the party downstairs.

~

"Why do I have to attend this event? As if they don't know that I'm the heiress already." Clementine mentally ranted. She hates being with a lot of people, though it has always been like this since her childhood days, she never got to get used to it. But she knows it will be a lot more when the time comes, when she inherits the throne