Chapter IX - The Cold Night

Word Count: 1591

"Hey there, had fun at the dinner?"

She was flabbergasted to see Louis at the garden. He is sitting at the fountain, his legs crossed and his arms rested on it. Deep inside he was also surprised when she suddenly walked in the garden. The cold breeze of the night did not help his state but he tried to keep his composure.

After Ed told them to leave the dining hall, Louis decided to stay at the garden. No one was in there when he came so he spent his time staring at the night sky.

"I didn't know you're here." Clementine spoke as she approached and sat at his right side. "Of course, how could I tell you that I'm here." Louis replied. "How was the dinner, princess? And looks like Sir Gabe isn't with you." A while ago, Louis can't help but feel a little envious to Gabe when he was eating with her.

Clementine rolled her eyes, "I told him I wanted to be alone." Louis nodded, "Should I go?"

"No, it's fine. I just... don't want to talk to him." Clementine murmured. Louis smirked, "Oooh, lovers' quarrel?"

Clementine almost puked by his comment, "Eww no. Gabe and I are just friends. I'll never see him that way, and he's not my type."

"Someone's being defensive." Louis teased. "I'm not!" Clementine replied. "Okaaaay. If you say so." Louis is still smirking, then Clementine hit his arm slightly. "If you don't wanna believe me then don't."

"I believe you, I believe you."

"But you know, when I first saw the two of you at the ball dancing, I thought you were together." Louis added. "He asked me to dance. Since I wasn't doing anything back then I accepted it." She replied.

Then silence fell between them, the cold breeze of the night embraced the two which made them quiver slightly. Louis looked at Clementine, and then he remembered the thing she said earlier at the practice. "That was amazing. Particularly the one who plays the piano. I liked it very much."

He does not know if she means it or she just said it because she wants to tease him. Either way, he feels delighted by it. Many people already told him that he plays the piano amazingly, and that he is so talented at music. Louis never believed any of it.

Ever since he was a child, the people around him in his household always told him that he will never reach something, that he is stupid and talentless, and that is what remained on his mind until now.

But when it came from her, it felt different. Like her words are the greatest thing to hear. He felt like he was valuable.

The cold breeze of the night crept towards them. The amber eyed girl glanced at Louis.

"You okay?" Clementine worriedly asked him making Louis snap back to reality. "Y-yes. I just thought that your dress looks good on you." He timidly smiled.

"T-thanks, I made it."Clementine shyly admitted. "Really? That's so cool." Louis commended and clapped. "Think you can make me a gown too?" Louis joked. "Sure, it would be a dazzling green with crystals for Princess Louis." She replied and they laughed together.

"I never knew you were this talented." Louis spoke and smiled. "I stan."

"Nah, it's just one of my hobbies. Besides, you're more talented than me. You can play an instrument and you can sing."

"But everyone can sing, princess. Some are just off-tuned."

"Okay, but how about the tongueless people, they can't sing."

"Umm... I can't speak for them." Louis shrugged, and Clementine chuckled. "Well then, okay."

"If you think that I'm talented, just wanna let you know that I can't dance properly." Louis suddenly confessed, feeling embarrassed.