Chapter 5: Shit Happens, Act Tough

The uniform Reiji had given me fitted perfectly - which made me wonder how he knew my measurements, or if he'd just figured it out by look alone. I hoped it was the latter, though either possibility was creepy regardless.

Shrugging the thought away, I slipped into a pair of comfortable Mary-Jane shoes before retreating to the bathroom to brush my hair and apply some cream to my pores. Once my face was somewhat more refreshed, I smeared some vaseline across my lips and made my way back to the bedroom.

After thrusting a few essentials into my school bag - my game console, snacks, an energy drink and a trusty bottle of pepper spray - I scooped Momo-chan from the bedside table and stalked towards the door.

To my surprise, Kanato was standing right in the middle of the hallway, which wouldn't have been quite so terrifying if I had noticed his presence beforehand - and if he hadn't grabbed my shoulder out of nowhere just to top it off.

"Jesus fucking Christ!" I cut myself off mid-screech, placing a hand over my chest, where my heart was sputtering shakily beneath my fingertips. The purple-haired boy gave me a long, inquisitive look, one of his arms wrapped around the teddy-bear I had seen him with before. "Give a girl a warning, Kanato."

"We're going to be late because of you." He hissed back, his expression morphing from indifference to anger so quickly that I almost missed the transition between the two. His grip on my shoulder tightened, and I clinched my jaw to hold back a groan of protest.

A rush of cold air slapped my face a moment later, and I closed my eyes by instinct, eyelashes fluttering open once Kanato released my shoulder. I realised with a start that he'd teleported us to a limousine outside the house.

He entered it without a word, and I followed suit, sliding awkwardly into empty space beside Saburu and settling Momo-chan on my lap and my schoolbag by my feet.

"You're late," Reiji snapped, the heat of his anger so palpable that I could feel it being expelled through the air. Gooseflesh broke out of the skin of my arms, but I kept my head held high.

"Einstein said time is relative, right? So maybe I'm not late," I shot back, clutching the remaining strands of my dignity. "Maybe you're all just early."

Reiji thew me a hard look, but didn't reply - probably having figured out that anything he said was futile.

Whish I could say the same for Ayato. "Oi, shortcake, how dare you keep Ore-sama waiting!"

"You're just bitter that you didn't get a midnight snack," I sneered, tipping my head to the side mockingly to reveal the side of my neck because I'm reckless and stupid.

Ayato bared his teeth at me. "You have a death wish, shortcake." Go ahead and tell me something I don't know, Tomato-Head.

The limousine suddenly started moving, and I shut out the rest of Ayato's speech, peering curiously through the window.

Trees surrounded us from every direction, windings around the road in tall, dark shadows. Maybe I was a little too quick to judge Yui's escape methods - there probably isn't a town anywhere near here.

I tuned back to the conversation in time to catch Yui's rare outrage.

"I have a name and it's Yui Komori!" She snapped, hands balled into pale fists that looked like they might snap if you flicked them. Despite that, there was a ferocity in Yui's expression I hadn't seen in a long time, and it pryed a smile into my features.

"Is night school any different to normal school anyway?" I asked to no one in particular, my eyes shifting to Saburu when he unexpectedly turned his body towards my direction to, unsurprisingly, scowl down at me.

The ivory-haired boy clicked his tongue at me. "Why do you care? You're the leason we're behind schedule."

"It's not my fault you have so many stairs; it took me ages to get to my room in the first place and my legs got tired." I defended, raising my hands in mock surrender.

Laito's lips curled into a devilish smirk. "Aren't you a little too young to be getting tired so easily, little minx?"

"Dunno, aren't you a little too old to be alive?" I retorted with a passive-aggressive smile, watching as Laito's grin grew wider. I averted my gaze from him after a moment, remembering a saying Seiji used to berate me with whenever I did something that would lead to trouble:

If you play with fire and you get burnt.

I may be a cocky little shit with an ago higher than my height, but I was still human and physically weaker than these vampires. While it's ridiculously difficult for me to hold back my sarcastic comments at times, if I wanted to live I might as well start practicing now.

I was startled out of my thoughts by a juice box being planted on my line of vision. Reiji arched his eyebrow at me expectantly when I met his gaze, a silent signal to take it from him, which I did after a moment of hesitation.

"Cranberry juice?" I mused, turning the package around. Yui said a meek thank you as Reiji handed her one as well. "I didn't even know that was a thing. Why not orange juice or something?"

"You needn't thank me," Reiji informed Yui, before flickering his eyes to me once more. "One hundred percent cranberry juice is the best cure for those with weak blood. You must be fully aware that you are both to become our prey - so drink your juice daily, please."

Yui's breath hitched, but I opened juice box regardless, popping the straw between my lips and savouring the taste. "Thanks, I guess."

Yui's whole complexion paled, of that was even possible, and her expression was one of pure terror. I flashed her a rare look of sympathy; knowing she must be terrified, like any normal person. I, in the other hand, had a high tolerance for weird shit.

Kanato began explaining human behaviour to his stuffed teddy-bear, and it took all my self-restraint not to roll my eyes.

"Yui," She looked up when I said her name, looking a little startled when I half-smiled at her. "Look at the bright side - at least they can't kill us, right?"

She nodded after a moment, looking slightly disgruntled by my logic, but at the very least her hands had stopped shaking. I turned my attention back to Momo-chan, whose fur I had been absently stroking till now.

This was going to be interesting.