Chapter 11: You're Only Human, Remember That

Uh, hi? Long time no see?

I want to apologise for updating so late but are we even surprised anymore, lmao?

In all seriousness though, thank you for your patience.

Also, thank you to -haikyutrash for being the last person to comment prior to me posting this chapter.

You literally reminded me this story existed and I found the motivation to write this long awaited chapter!

Psa, there must definitely be some spelling mistakes and grammatical errors here. Beware of those.

With that being said - onto the chapter :)

You'd think I would be mad pressed about the fact that there's a seemingly malicious spirit living inside my sister's body.

You'd be wrong.

I've always accustomed to strange things alarmingly quickly, so it doesn't take long for the ghost residing subconsciously inside Yui's body to become old news.

Believe it or not, I have more important things to worry about at the moment. Things I can remotely do something about - like staying alive and finishing homework.

I see the ghost up close only a couple of times. The spirit no longer alters Yui's entire appearance when it takes control, but it's still recognizable by its haughty posture and brazen green eyes.

Those eyes remind me uncannily of a crossbreed of Laito and Ayato, and that alone gives me every reason not to trust whoever that woman may be.

Ghoulish mishaps aside, I manage to avoid being bitten for the next four days. It's Subaru - unironically - who puts that to an end to my winning streak by pinning me against the wall one night and puncturing my neck with his canines.

Trying to pry him off proved to be futile after an earnest attempt, especially with the threat of having every bone in my knee shattered for showing resistance.

Opting to be smart mouthed only made the entire experience worse in the end - after having his fill, Subaru digs his fingers into the bite wounds he's inflicted until I can feel his nails scraping against the inside of my throat.

When he finally releases me, I am shaken to the point of tears. What can I say? I'm human. I'm as receptive to pain as it gets and having blood forcibly taken from my veins hurts. Happens to the best of us.

I bleed out in the hallway for longer than I take note of before I muster the energy to pick myself up from the floor. The journey to my bedroom is painstakingly long, and consists of stumbling enough times that I give up all dignity and crawl.

It's upon making it inside the bathroom that I attempt to rise to my feet. The process hurts, but I somehow manage to pull myself upright and inspect just how badly I've been scarred in the mirror.

And despite being well aware that there's a literal hole punctured through my throat, seeing it in all its glory makes me want to faint all over again. I rummage through the bathroom cabinets with shaky hands, dabbing at my neck hastily with whatever I can find.

In all honesty, my knowledge on what to do when bleeding out is mundane at best. I haven't even put a band-aid on my own wounds in the fourteen years I've been alive, let alone survived a vaccination without bursting into tears.

I can feel the life seeping out of me with each exhausting shift of my body. My eyelids begin to droop. I just might be dying.

Somewhere in the process of bending over the sink for some water, I black out.