018

suspended in the air, you were left breathless. eren had already left and had began to close in on the female titan. your mind went blank, you wanted to move but couldn't. an out of body experience as one would call it. 

you didn't know why, but it had brought memories of before you and the cadets had graduated. maybe it was because you were close to death and your life was about to flash before your eyes that thought about the memory, the memory of you and your father sitting outside on a dreamy night sipping on tea in each other's comfort. in this moment you missed your father, more than ever before. you wanted him to hug you and tell you it was okay. 

your mind traveled back to when you were last with your father, which was not long ago. 

the night before the expedition was always the scariest night. it was when you were contemplating whether or not you were going to make it back alive. sure, you were placed in the special operations squad with your father, the humanity's strongest soldier, but you had seen what a true battle brought on. you knew many lives would be lost on this day. uncle erwin's gambles often costed people their lives, and you wouldn't be all that shocked if it cost him his own. 

you sat up from your bed, sweat starting to form from your nervousness. adrenaline rushed through your body, the aftershocks of having confessed to eren still present and the thought of riding through titan territory. 

you couldn't come back to visit eren in his cell, you didnt wish to disturb him, though you secretly knew that he wasn't sleeping with the same thoughts of the expedition rushing through his head as well. 

you decided to walk over to the kitchen and boil a cup of tea. walking down the not so familiar hallways of the base that you and the rest of the squad had cleaned up. you remember a time when your father would boil you a cup of warm tea when you had a nightmare, but that was more than a decade ago. 

your father, prior to bed, had given you the "talk". the talk consisted of what to do in emergency situations in the scouting expedition, what and what not to do in case you and your father had separated. he was very serious about it. you knew that he was scared, although it was only one of the many expeditions he has gone through in his life. 

you entered into the dining area just to hear another person using the stove as well. you carefully walked into the kitchen to see a short man with black hair standing there, boiling a pot of water. 

"father?" you asked quietly. 

he turned around, unfazed and looked at you, "what are you doing up?" 

"couldn't sleep" you sighed, "are you making tea?" 

"yes, do you want me to make you some?" it was almost like he could feel your anxiety, a father's sense. 

"yes please" you said as you sat down in one of the seats. 

he gave you a small smile and proceeded to take out two cups. 

"you don't need more water?" you asked. 

"nope. i knew you would be coming down here, so i boiled extra"

black tea. you and your father's favorite. your mother could never understand why you enjoyed bitter things like tea over candies and sweet rolls, in truth you never knew why either. 

you were about to take a sip from your tea when your father interrupted you, "no, let's sit outside." 

the both of you took your steaming hot teas and went outside to the front of the base. the stars were out, the night sky looked beautiful with it's stars adorning it. 

you took a seat on the steps and began to sip on your tea. 

"we used to come out of the house and sit on the steps but there weren't any stars" you said. 

your father silently agreed, "we've both grown so much since we left"

you turned to your father, "may i ask you a question?" 

"you are asking me a question" he smiled. 

captain levi and his secret dad jokes. surely if anyone heard him even mutter a joke it would be the end of his reputation. 

"do you think about uncle furlan and auntie isabel?"

he stopped drinking his tea and looked up, "everyday i think of them. i always think back to when they used to play with you and take care of you all the way to them dying at the hands of titans."

you regretted asking the question. 

"but because of them, i'm motivated to fight the best that i can" he said, "and you should too".

that night, you had a heart to heart with your father and went to bed not feeling as scared as you were before. 

you snapped back to real time. you saw eren and the female titan fighting each other. 

this could not be the end. you would not have it.