027

[approximately 4 hours ago]

"i received the background information on annie leonhart," hanji said holding the papers sasha had given to her just a few minutes earlier, "they took a while to get because management's been backed up lately." 

"can i see?" you asked, holding out your hand towards the papers, which hanji let you take to read through. 

"the only other people who share somewhat of the same background as her is reiner braun and bertholdt hoover." 

the room froze. in an instant, you stopped reading through the files. you always had a hunch about annie being odd and maybe bertholdt, but reiner? he graduated in the same class as you, ate dinners with you and your friends, even proclaimed that he was working to get back to his hometown. 

you could handle annie's betrayal since the both of you were not close, but reiner was like an older brother to you and the rest of the cadets. you even trusted him, dropping hints here and there about your not so obvious crush on eren. 

"this cant be..." your voice trailed off, looking at eren who also stood in disbelief. you could see the visible change in his eyes, from excited to go on the mission to soft in sadness and betrayal. 

all of you had the same goals. there was no way that reiner and bertholdt could be plotting against humanity. did bertholdt even have the guts to do all of this? was reiner the one that looped the poor boy in? 

"their group was given the wrong information about eren's position in the scouting mission," hanji mentioned, "they were told eren was in the right wing and the female titan attacked from the right." 

"and then all of a sudden the female titan came to where we were," you said looking up at him and your father, who stood silently in the corner. 

armin spoke up, "its possible that they told annie that information." 

he was immediately cut off by eren's, "hold on, wait a minute," it was clear that he wanted to protect reiner out of friendship. 

"its not enough to prove anything," hanji said, "i would like to know how the three of them interacted with each other." 

it was well known that bertholdt and reiner were two peas in a pod, always sticking together for literally any training session or class. annie was always by herself, never talking to anyone unless spoken to. 

everyone had points that was unable to really link anyone of them together, even your point was not good enough to link them together, "didn't bertholdt have a crush on annie?" 

"why do you think that?" eren asked. 

"well, he always looked at her," you tried to think of another point, "he seemed pretty shocked when he found out she was joining the military police." 

it was difficult to believe, the initial shock still not really over. the cadets in the room were proceeding with caution, not necessarily trying to protect reiner and bertholdt but not wanting to believe that the pair would be capable of doing such a thing. 

"reiner fought the female titan with me," armin's voice trailed off. his eyes went wide, he'd hit a realization, "reiner managed to survive... but immediately after that the female titan started attacking the center rear, where you guys were." 

your held your breath. everything felt unreal. time felt extremely and painfully slow. you were not much of a masochist, but this was not the type of hurt you wanted in the first place. 

"did reiner seem interested at eren's location?" you asked, voice quieter now. eren noticing this and reaching out to hold your hand, thumb caressing yours.