V-Lapis

"Get up," Peridot whispered to me early the next morning. "We need to move on. We're so close."

I stood up, stretching my sore legs as I did so. I found that I actually felt refreshed. I was as ready to go as she was. I looked at her and waited for her to go, but, instead, she held out a hand.

"Need me to carry you?" She asked.

My eyes narrowed. "I'm fine, thanks."

Peridot raised one of her eyebrows. "Alright," she said. "Whatever you say."

We walked out of the alley, but I looked back one last time. Serpentine was staring at me from the shadows. I felt a chill run up my spine.

"Cold?" Peridot asked, looking down at me.

"No," I answered, "I'm fine. I can handle myself."

"Sheesh," Peridot said. "Enough chitchat. We gotta go."

I followed her down the sidewalk, Serpentine on my mind the whole time. The way she stared at me made me feel anything but comfortable. Almost like she wanted to give me away to the Accordies at any second, my worst nightmare. Although, losing Peridot had risen higher on that list, too. All those times I had said I was tired were complete lies. I just wanted to be touching her, and I felt insane doing it. Since when did I want to fall in love anyway? I was making myself seem weak, and I needed to show Peridot that I was, in fact, a lot stronger than I appeared, but it was so hard to do that when my heart melted every time I looked at her.

Peridot was pressing her hands deep into her pockets, and she seemed to be thinking deeply about something. The sun was reflecting off of her blonde hair and illuminating part of her face. Her expression stayed the same.

I had never felt anything like the feeling I felt around her before, and it completed me. It was a sensation I had been void of for so long, and I was finally feeling it for once. I was waiting for her for thirteen years.

"Fifteen hours," Peridot said suddenly, pulling me out of my trance.

"Huh?"

"We're gonna get to Lyons before we rest," Peridot responded. "That's a bit more than half a day from here. We'll be there by nighttime."

As usual.

I refrained from replying. Instead, I nodded. I was used to walking these long distances now, which made me feel better throughout their duration. That better attitude helped me cherish the time with Peridot instead of dreading the exercise. She filled the void inside of me, and I was scared of losing her and being incomplete again.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I panicked. Instinctively, I threw my elbow back and hit the person's chest as hard as I could. I whirled around to deliver a follow-up and realized it was Peridot I had just elbowed. I froze.

"Oh my god," I whispered. "I-I'm so sorry! I wasn't thinking straight and I elbowed you!"

"Calm down, calm down," Peridot replied, laughing, "you're fine. You really pack a punch, Laz." She smiled at me while rubbing her chest.

"I-I'm still sorry," I mumbled, blushing.

"You're stronger than I thought," Peridot said. "Where'd you learn to punch like that?"

I shrugged. "Well, I mean, having to deal with stupid orphans is enough."

"Really?" Peridot asked. "Were they trying to kill you or something?"

"No, I just soon found that a harder punch sends the message better."

Peridot looked down at that ground and smiled, and I felt my face heating up intensely. Her smile was so pretty.