VII-Lapis

I was so close to her, so very close. I almost wanted to kiss her, but I was too scared to make a move. I was afraid that I was misinterpreting all of the feelings. I was afraid that I would scare her off, but that was so irrational. I didn't fear just about anything, but when she stepped into my life, that all changed.

One person shouldn't have been able to turn all of my feelings upside down. No normal person could do that. It had to have something to do with fate.

By this point, Peridot's and my lips were only a few inches apart, but neither of us dared to close the gap. We backed away from each other suddenly, and all of the blood rose to my face. I was too flustered to look back at Peridot.

The door squeaked behind the two of us, causing us both to jump a little and turn around. Jasper was there, ever so slowly pushing the white door open and watching us with concern in her eyes.

"Everything alright in here?" She asked quietly.

"Yeah," Peridot answered. "Everything's alright."

I watched her walk up to Jasper, lock eyes for a second with her, and leave after Jasper gave her a pat on the back.

"Good, kid?" Jasper asked.

"Yeah," I answered. "Yeah, I'm good."

Jasper sat down next to me on the bed with a gentle smile on her face. "You like her, don't you?" She asked.

"Would it make any difference if I did?" I countered

"Only if you're gonna do something about it," Jasper answered.

I sat there in thought for a moment, caught a bit off guard by her answer. She had a point, but that was something I definitely didn't want to admit.

"So maybe I do like her," I said. "Just a little bit."

"A little bit, huh?" Jasper responded, smirking a little too devilishly at me. "I have a feeling you've never fallen this hard for anyone in your life."

"What!s that supposed to mean?" I snapped, looking away.

"You really like her, I can tell," Jasper said. "You also really don't want to say it to her face."

"Why do you care?" I grumbled.

"I care about both of you," Jasper replied softly. "Right now, you two are my kids, and a guardian cares for their kids. I want you to know that I'm always going to be here to help no matter what. It's what I'm here for. Nothing more, nothing less."

I thought over it again. "Let's say I'm falling head over heels for her," I said. "What would your opinion be on that?"

"I'd be just fine with it," Jasper responded. "In fact, I actually think you two would be good for each other. I can tell that you're both messed up and need some way to climb out of the hole the world dug for you. Put you two together, and you just...heal each other's scars."

I raised my eyebrows. "Can you elaborate?"

"I think you two are a really good fit for each other," Jasper said. "As long as you don't rush into things and end up being married at fourteen."

"Oh, come on," I replied, rolling my eyes playfully. "Isn't that illegal? Plus, I'm not Juliet."

"But your Romeo's out there in the living room."

I rolled my eyes seriously this time. "Look, I really, really don't want to have to talk about liking her to her face," I admitted. "I'm scared that she doesn't like me back, and it's only going to make things awkward between us. I don't want to reverse everything that we have."