Chapter Forty - Insane

Clementine had slept abnormally long today, midday was already over and she could hear the busy streets outside of her window. She looked up from her sheets and a bright flash of light blinded her, the window was opened completely.
-Did I forget to close it last night?-, she asked herself and raised her head.
Next to her on the small nightstand something had changed, next to her good old hat stood a jar full of pickles. A small note was lying there as well.
"For the little hunger before lunch.", she read out loud and a smile found it's way up to her face. Kate had been here, Clem recognized her sloppy handwriting. She must have been in here while she was asleep.
-How did I not wake up?-, the teenager thought, her sense had always been so sharp that she'd wake up immediately if someone was sneaking up to her.
A loud growling interrupted her thinking, she flinched as she felt how hungry she really was. It was like a hole in her stomach, it was clenched like a fist.
"This comes in handy now, thanks Kate.", the girl said and picked up the jar, opening it with a swift motion.
The a little unpleasant smell of vinegar pierced into her nose but she didn't mind and bit into one of the vegetables. The sour taste made her feel good, even though she had never liked pickles. When she had finished, most of the glass was empty, she felt a bit sad about it, she had eaten everything and not even saved something for the evening.
Clem slid towards the edge of the large bed, her prosthesis was leaned onto the nightstand. It had felt lonely to sleep in this huge bed without Louis but she pushed this thought away, he would be back soon so why bother? She put her stump into the padding and bend down to close the fasteners when she realized that something had changed. Her belly had grown a small bit, it wasn't visible but Clementine could feel it.
"Hey you, growing faster I see...", she whispered with on hand on the bulge.
The teenager had lost any fear about it now and she was feeling love for what she and Louis had created, she couldn't wait until the baby would arrive. After gently massaging her belly she stood up and walked over to the door, ready to await Louis' arrival.

"Hey Javi, hey Kate, any news on the situation yet?", Clem asked as she found the couple sitting in the living room, both of them had cups with freshly brewed coffee.
"Yeah, they did it, the Delta has fallen!", Javier exclaimed and walked over to her, pulling her into a friendly hug.
"That's amazing!", she answered and laughed out in happiness, the war was over, she could finally live in peace again.
"And what's with Louis and AJ?", she asked with a grin.
"Haven't heard anything till now but they should return with the first group, that would be this evening four o'clock.", the man replied and patted her shoulder, "Come, sit down and get a coffee."
"I'll pass, I have no need for caffeine right now, I don't know why."
Clem walked around the couch and settled down with an audibly loud exhale. Kate raised her eyebrow.
"You slept like a stone yesterday, you didn't even notice me when I opened the window.", she noted with a grin.
Clementine laughed, "Yeah, I think pregnancy is getting to me. Thanks for the pickles by the way, I ate most of them already..."
Kate followed her example and a laugh left her lips.
"Well, every story I heard seems to be true. I've got some left for later, just ask if you need them."
The teenager nodded and her gaze swiped across the room, loud shuffling footsteps were coning from the floor above. Gabe came down the stairs, his clothes were ruffled and so was his hair, small blue rings were visible under his eyes. When he saw Clem he quickly fixed his shirt and grinned while putting on his beanie. Clem noticed that she had never seen Gabe without his cap, his brown hair wasn't even that bad like he had described.
"Good morning Clem.", he said, a smirk appeared on his face, "How's the night been?"
"Good I guess, I slept longer than ever even though Lou wasn't there with me.", she replied.
She looked down onto a magazine and didn't notice the quick look of jealousy and disgust on the boys face, it was gone when she glanced towards him again.
"There you go Gabe, your pancakes are ready.", Javier called out from the kitchen.
He turned around to Clementine.
"Want some?"
"Nah, thanks though.", she answered and smiled, the boys cheeks were a little redder than usual when he turned around and walked into the kitchen.