Epilogue

8 years later...

The warm water ran over her fingers, washing away the dirt from them. Clementine was standing in the kitchen and washing the bowls they had eaten from just half an hour ago. It had been the same food like always, rabbit stew with a fresh salad just for the kids. She raised her head to look out of the window, the scenery of their garden still amazed her every day. The small trees surrounded fence against the threats from the outside, the biggest one of them was the most noticeable, a tree-house was sitting in its crown.
She put away the small bucket with fresh water, the porcelain was cleaned to the point of glistening in the rays of the sinking sun when suddenly someone grabbed her waist from behind.
"Hey darling, how's it going in here? Need a helping hand?", the melodic voice behind her back whispered, his warm breath tingled on the skin over her ear.
"Louis!", she exclaimed and giggled, his strong hands turned her around and she willingly obeyed. His face hadn't even changed that much since this one important day many years ago, yes he had aged but only to grow even better looking.
The corners of his mouth played with a smile, his handsome brown eyes stared into hers.
"What? Did you really think I would let such a beautiful young lady do all the work?", he said and cupped her cheek, playing with the sensitive skin with his thumb.
Clem rolled her eyes in fake dismay, the light got caught in the honey golden iris of her eyes.
"I just finished, how could you let me do everything you don't want to?"
The man grinned and kissed her forehead, one of his hands reaching to the side of the sink behind her.
"I'll have to make it up to you then, before I do that though you almost forgot this..."
His hand came into her focus again, a golden shimmering round object in the palm of it.

She smirked as he took her hand fell to his knees and slid the ring onto her finger, the warm metal nestled against it perfectly.
"Clementine Everett, do you want to marry me?", Louis asked with a smirk and glowing eyes, Clem could see his passion and unconditional love to her in them.
"A second time? Do you think that it's necessary?", she laughed and pulled him to his feet again, planting a deep kiss on his lips afterwards.
"I'd do anything to show how much I love you!", the grown up answered after giving into the touch with all of his soul.
"Stop it weirdo, you don't need to show it every second minute.", Clem said and slapped his shoulder in a playful manner.
The images of the real event were still so vivid, it had been 8 years since he had proposed and she could still remember the look on his face as he knelt down with her hand in his.
She could still see the scenery, the small and lonely back yard of Javier's and Kate's house, the moonlight had shone onto them and given everything a warm silver glow. Clementine had never experienced something as romantic as this before, she had been flattered and almost unable to speak as he asked her the question that would change her life.
"Do you recall the apple tree?", she hummed as he hugged her from the back, his hands lying on her now flat stomach.
"Just like yesterday honey. The look on your face when I pulled out the ring was just so cute, you looked as red as those apples above your head.", Louis responded and tipped on the front of her hat which almost fell onto her nose.
"You just can't stop teasing me about that, can you?", the woman squealed and pulled up the cap again, the delight of being here with him was flooding her soul.
"No, and I won't!", he claimed and let go of her waist.
Clem turned around just to hear and excited giggle an laughter from the front door.

Two small figures ran into the kitchen, both laughed and squealed when Louis turned around and charged after them with a playful roar, a big grin covering his face.
"Get back here you little troublemakers!", he laughed out, his voice filled with the happiness he was feeling, the same that was keeping the flame of fun and humor lit up in his eyes.
Clementine laughed at the scene too, her two little children were a blessing. The birth had been hard, two children at once weren't easy to bear but all the pain she had experienced, all the agony she had felt, they had been worth it. The pure joy of life in the two siblings was indelible, they were like two lights in the dark for both of their parents.
Another silhouette entered the small room, the black curly hair of the teenager had remained as puffy as it had been all the time.
"Hey Clem!", AJ said with a smile on his face.
His hand was lying on the knife strapped to his waist, he was now taller than his foster mother.
"Hey goofball. How's the supply run been?", the woman asked and pointed towards the bag on his shoulders which seemed to be filled to the brim.
"Oh yeah, totally forgot!", the boy stated and pulled his backpack down, zipping up the top of it afterwards.
His hand disappeared inside and when it appeared again it revealed a little thin package wrapped in plastic, Clem instantly recognized it.