Chapter Fourteen

Keith woke up screaming. Sweat made Lance's shirt stick to his body and his hair plastered onto the back of his neck and forehead. He shook violently, tears streaming down his flushed cheeks. Whimpers left his trembling lips as he shoved himself into the corner. 

"Keith?" Lance mumbled sleepily, rubbing his eyes and blinking in the darkness as his eyes adjusted. "Keith, what's wrong?" 

"H-he's coming... H-he knows I'm here!" Keith spoke frantically, eyes wild and hands fisted in his hair. "Don't let him get me! Please!" 

"I won't," Lance assured, confused as to what Keith was talking about but he wouldn't press because he didn't want to make Keith more upset. "I won't let him hurt you." Lance slowly reached out to pull Keith into his chest. Keith allowed the alpha to hold him, burying his face in Lance's chest as he sobbed. 

Lance's heart ached at the sound of Keith's crying. He could smell the distress coming off of the omega in waves. He did his best to emit a soothing smell to calm his boyfriend down. When that didn't seem to help, he began to sing a lullaby his mother used to sing to him when he had nightmares or couldn't fall asleep. 

"Duérmete mi niño, duérmete mi amor, duérmete pedazo de mi corazón. Este niño mío que nació de noche quiere que lo lleve a pasear en coche," Lance sang softly, stroking Keith's hair with his cheek pressed against the top of Keith's head. "Este niño mío que nació de día quiere que lo lleve a la dulcería. Duérmete mi niño, duérmete mi amor duérmete pedazo de mi corazón.

Slowly, Keith began to calm down as Lance repeated the Spanish lullaby. Keith sniffled, still shaking as he tried to soothe himself. He breathed in the scent of lavender coming from Lance. It was highly unlikely that an alpha would have a floral smell, but Lance was an exception for a lot of things. 

"Lance..." Keith mumbled, holding onto Lance tighter. "Please... Don't let him get me... Don't let him hurt me..."

"I won't. Nobody's going to hurt you," Lance promised, giving Keith a squeeze. "You're safe here with me and Ronnie. She may not look it, but she's a level two black belt. And my mom will go full on Latino on anyone who tries to hurt you. With the sandal and everything."

Keith let out a choked laugh. He finally looked up at Lance, pupils wide and hair messy. "Promise?"

"I swear. Whenever you are with me or my family, nobody will lay a hand on you," Lance reassured, leaning down to give a quick peck on the lips. 

Shakily, Keith smiled, closing his eyes with his head rested against Lance's chest. He relaxed against the alpha, but he grabbed one of Lance's slender hands and laced their fingers. "Will you keep the nightmares away?" He drawled sleepily. 

"Yes. I will keep away the nightmares. They won't hurt you," Lance replied, shifting so they were lying down again. He kept his hand in Keith's while his other arm wrapped around Keith's small waist. 

"Can you sing?"

"Sure." Lance began singing again, doing so until Keith fell back asleep. 

Lance's morning alarm woke Keith up with a jolt. Pain throbbed through his body and he groaned, nuzzling into Lance's chest with a whine. 

"Off... Turn it off..." Keith mumbled, not wanting to get up or move. 

Lance grumbled something under his breath as he threw his arm over to his alarm clock to hit the off button. The Cuban returned to his previous position, with his arms wrapped around Keith's slender body.

"We're not going to school today," Lance concluded, burying his face in Keith's tangled hair and bringing him in closer. 

"Wasn't planning on it..." Keith muttered, turning around in Lance's arms so his back was to Lance's chest.