8 "We are endgame, Alice"

"Why did you come back?" Betty asked as we sat in the car.

"Jughead told Gladys where FP is and she appeared there" I murmured in a low voice. "Your plan has failed," I added.

"What plan?!" Betty pretended surprised.

"You are a fatal liar, Elizabeth" I sighed quietly and closed my eyes.

"Not as fatal as you are." Betty bit me off. I looked at her.

"What was that supposed to mean?"

"You pretend that everything is perfectly good, but I know that your heart suffers because you care about someone who doesn't belong to you"

These words struck me with redoubled strength. I closed my eyes to chase away the tears. My daughter was right.

"He never belonged to me," I said quietly as we drove up to enter our house. I got out of the car, pulled the suitcase from the trunk and went to the door.

I felt my daughter's hands on my shoulders and I stood. Betty hugged me.

"If it comforts you, I will always be yours," she whispered, and I smiled.

"I know, you are my daughter," I answered and heard my daughter's sigh of irritation. "But I love you anyway" I hugged her and kissed her on the forehead. "I am grateful to God for the wonderful gift you are" I stroked her cheek.

"I love you, mama." Betty smiled.

"I love you, Betty."

The next few days passed very quickly. I bought a lot of plants and created a small garden. I found a job at our local bookstore. Although it wasn't the work of my dreams, I enjoyed it.

One day I returned home rather later than usual because I had a new supply of books. I went home and immediately went to the kitchen to get orange juice from the fridge. I really wanted to drink. I called Betty, but she didn't answer, so she probably went somewhere with Jughead.

I went to the living room, sat on the couch and turned on the television. I had a marathon of Sex and the city today.

When I heard a knock at the door, I turned down the TV and went to the door. I opened them and looked surprised at the person standing in front of me.

 "What are you doing here?" I asked. FP was standing in front of me.

"I came to talk," he said, and I sighed heavily.

"Now? I wanted to watch the Sex and the city," I replied, and he smiled slightly.

"We can watch this marathon together," he said uncertainly, and I nodded.

"We can" I murmured and went into the living room. I sat on the couch and FP sat next to me. "Do you want something to drink?"

"No, thank you" FP grabbed my hands and looked into my eyes. "Alice, I talked to Gladys," he added, and I gave a quiet "ooh".

"About what?"

"About your conversation at the airport," he answered, and I rolled my eyes.

"Mhm, you're probably angry," I shrugged.

"No. Gladys told me that you helped her realized something" FP began to stroke my hand with his thumb. I swallowed.

"What?"

"How long have you known that Gladys prefers women?" he asked, and I bit my lip.

"Um ... I've known for a few months"

"Why did not you tell me anything?" FP stroked my cheek gently. I closed my eyes under the influence of his touch.

"I thought you would guess," I replied and looked at the television. I completely forgot about sex in the city.

"I probably knew it in my heart, but I was afraid to admit it." The FP approached me. "This time we will have a divorce," I spoke to Gladys. "Today we were together with a lawyer and ... we arranged everything." He smiled at me and I nodded.

"That's good, I'm happy," I replied, and he sighed.

"Are you sure you are happy?"

"Yes," I looked into his eyes.

"I'm not happy," he answered, and I laughed softly. I wanted to step away from him, but he wouldn't let me. He knelt in front of me on one knee.

"What are you doing? Don't be silly," I asked quietly, and he put his finger to my lips.

"I'm not happy because you're not with me, Alice" he kissed my hand.

"FP, you know it doesn't make sense, we'll argue and break sooner or later"

"Maybe we will argue, but I won't let you leave me anymore if I need to handcuff you to bed," he said, and I blushed. I was afraid to try to be with him again.

"I don't know, FP ..." I shook my head and he took my face in his hands. He looked into my eyes.

"You know" he whispered and he approached me. "We are endgame, Alice and nothing will change that, we always come back to each other," he added, and I smiled and looked into his eyes. I put my arms around his neck and leaned my forehead against his.

"That's true" I nodded and he laughed.

"Does it mean that we have another chance?"

"Yes" I smiled at him and stroked his cheek. Our lips came closer to each other. When we were about to kiss, we heard a whistle and looked towards the door. Jughead and Betty stood in the hallway and stared at us. I blushed.

"Hi, love birds," said Jughead, and put his arm around Betty.

"We won't bother you, we'll go upstairs to study," Betty said, and together with Jughead, they went up to the stairs.

"No funny things, you two!" I shouted after them.

"No funny things, you two!" Betty answered when she disappeared on the stairs.

"Well, what are we..." asked FP, and I chuckled softly and came closer to kiss him.

A/N: And this the end of this story 🤧