Stifled

"Sensei!" A male voice called from not too far away, my head reflexively turning to find its source. Chilled fingers grazed my neck and I flinched away from my brother, pushing myself to my feet. "We scouted the area, and we can't seem to chase any more of the vermin out," Suguro sighed, running a hand through his messy hair. "Anyway, Rin, you done fainting?" I laughed breathlessly and took a step away from my still sitting brother.

"Uh, yeah," my voice cracked and I cleared my throat, my voice coming out smoother afterward. "I was just overheated, that's all." I shrugged, "rookie mistake, I guess." I laughed once more, reaching up and tugging at my short sleeves, making sure they were proper.

The others appeared behind my larger classmate, they were enthralled in their own conversation, paying no mind to us. However, after a minute, Koneko spoke up, "why are you and Sensei covered in dirt?"

"Ahh," I stammered, my eyes wandering down to my twin, his own gaze set to the ground. "We were just rough housing." It wasn't the best excuse, but it was all I had. I moved toward Yukio and gripped his shoulders, pushing him gently and telling him to get up. "Can we finally go home?" I chuckled, trying to cover for the awkward situation, but no one else seemed to sense the tense air.

Yukio slowly rose to his feet, fixing his own uniform before facing my classmates, "we're done here, whatever remains here will find its way to a different location. I'll notify the property owners tomorrow, but for now, let's head back to the academy. It's a school night, after all." The cram school kids all agreed, Shima even yawned, only emphasizing how late it had become. Yukio pushed past me, keeping his eyes concreted in front of him. I found that both comforting, yet frightening simultaneously. I wouldn't have to deal with his prying for the next twenty to thirty minutes, which allowed me to get my thoughts in order. Yet, as soon as we were alone in the dorm, he'd have no reason to hold back. The thought alone made me shiver as I reached down to grab my discarded jacket.

We reached the van, and despite not calling dibs on passenger seat, the class seemed to be under the impression that it was mine anyway. I put the Kurikara on the floor, resting on the dash, before hopping into the vehicle.I really didn't want to be up front with Yukio at the moment, not with him casting wayward glances in my direction every few minutes. He was making me even more uncomfortable. The chatter in the vehicle wasn't enough to distract me. If anything, it ate at me. They had no idea what was happening, it was just another night for them. While my world was quickly spiraling and turning itself upside down. My breath hitched and my twin turned to look at me, the first time he'd fully looked at me since we'd left.

I shook my head and stared out my window. The darkness making it a boring view. The brightness from the headlights illuminated the trees and houses that passed by. A speed limit sign flashed past and I barely registered the heightened number. We were heading out of this small, barren town. The view would only get worse from here on out. I inwardly groaned, my hands fidgeting with my academy jacket. It was covered in dirt and sweat, so it would've been pretty stupid to put it back on. That left my forearms in plain view, and my skin was aflame with the possible eyes that could linger there. I was thankful that it was dark in the cab for this reason.

I pulled at a string on my jacket and sighed, pushing the garment off of me and onto the floor. It was too hot in here, but that was clearly an issue only I had. My blood boiled with the anxiety and my head felt limp on top of my shoulders. A slight push would probably have me topple over. I leaned against the door, the vibrations of the vehicle humming up and into my shoulder. It made me itch.

I fought back the urge to sigh again, I was antsy, and with each mile, it was worse. How long until we were home? How long until Yukio got on my case? I knew this was the end of the line for my secrets. He had to have seen it, but there was more than just that. My eyes darted over to him. He was gripping the steering wheel tightly, the light from the front of the vehicle reflected just enough for me to see how tense his jaw was clenched. I swallowed, unable to pinpoint if he was more upset or angry. Then, his own eyes flashed over and met mine. My heart jumped to my throat and I turned from his fierce gaze. He was definitely somewhat angry.