Chapter eight

"Look at it..." Maleficent muttered to herself. 

Aurora ran around the garden chasing butterflies whilst the fairies, yet again, forgot to watch her. The child had only recently learnt to walk. (Y/n) sat curled up against Diaval, who had one arm wrapped around her protectively and his head on top of hers. She huddled close to him as it was a sunny day but cool.  It was all peaceful and quiet (except for Maleficent's odd muttering) until Diaval noticed that Aurora was running ever closer to the edge of the rock face. He jumped up, startling (y/n), who also then realised what was happening. 

"Er...Maleficent?" He asked. 

She just sat and stared, seemingly oblivious. (Y/n) got up, about to try and cast a spell to stop her from falling to her death. 

"Stop!" Maleficent hissed, raising her hand. The pair looked at her in disbelief before turning around as Aurora screamed. They watched helpless and horrified as the child's screams faded away. Suddenly, a branch caught her and put her back at the top. Diaval and (y/n) sighed with relief. 

"Let's go." (Y/n) said after a few seconds. She walked into the forest with Diaval, who asked to be turned back into a bird, leaving her mother behind. They walked around the edge of the forest, close to the cottage, still keeping an eye on Aurora. (Y/n) watched as Diaval flew around in the trees above every now and then. 

Once, she lost sight of him but soon heard squawks and giggles about twenty metres away from her. Cautiously, she edged towards them, careful not to scare the child. The sounds of rustling leaves caused the girl to turn around. Only two and still naive, Aurora stumbled over to (y/n), instantly melting her heart. She picked her up and twirled her around a couple of times causing her to scream in delight. 

"Hello Aurora. I'm your big sister. Well half sister technically but that's a long story." (Y/n) whispered to her. She just smiled innocently at her, clueless to what she was saying. Diaval landed on her shoulder and squawked at them. Aurora giggled at him.

"Pretty bird!" She tried to say. Diaval hopped around with delight.

"What is that awful noise?" Maleficent appeared behind them. She stopped when she saw Aurora. 

"Beastie." She hissed. Maleficent began trying to frighten Aurora but she just continued to laugh. (Y/n) held Aurora out in front of her and walked towards her mother.

"Isn't she cute? Can we keep her?" Maleficent was not impressed. Before she could say anything, the fairies began calling for her. (Y/n) put her down. 

"Catch the pretty bird." And off Aurora went, chasing after Diaval. (Y/n) listened to make sure she got back safely.

"There you are!" Cried one of the fairies. 

She turned back and headed after her mother who was already a good hundred feet ahead of her. 

Diaval came swooping back down to her and flew above her head before disappearing again. (Y/n) wondered where he had gone but soon forgot about it. The beautiful Winter flowers were beginning to grow. (Y/n) hoped it would snow this year and went to sit by the waterfall, one of her favourite spots. The sun was starting to set earlier every night, signalling that winter was swiftly on its way. She closed her eyes and took in the sounds of the forest. The water ran heavily from the previous night's heavy rain. Everything was so peaceful.  

All too soon the familiar flap of wings interrupted her deep thoughts. Trying to enjoy a few more seconds of the peace, (y/n) kept her eyes closed. But Diaval began poking her with his beak, gently at first but it soon became annoying. 

"Alright! Calm down!" She huffed before picking him up and tickling his chin. "Have some patience." She said pretending to be annoyed. Quickly, she turned him back into his human form.

"Finally!" He said, smirking at her as he tried to sit on the very small rock with her. Giving up, he crouched beside her. 

"Grumpy." She elbowed him in the ribs playfully which caught him unawares and he lost his balance and fell face first into some mud. (Y/n) laughed as he complained. "I'm sorry." She tried to say through her laughs. He looked unamused. 

"I'll get you back for that!" He cried. Her face dropped. 

"Please no! Don't you dare! Diaval!" She begged. He gave her that look. She knew what was coming. She was in for it. Scared, she leapt up and tried to run but she soon slipped on the wet floor and he quickly caught up with her. How she hated being tickled. And he knew all her weak spots. This was going to be hell. 

"Diaval stop! You know I hate it." She yelled, trying to stop her laughter.

"You asked for it." He didn't show any sign of stopping. 

Her stomach began to hurt and tears formed in her eyes. It didn't hurt. He was always gentle. But she just didn't like it. 

"Diaval, we... we...might disturb people, it's gett...ing dark." She was breathless. He stopped for a moment before carrying on. One of the older creatures of the forest popped up behind them, fingers in his ears. 

"Do you mind? Some people are trying to sleep." He said angrily. He had never been the most cheerful person. Diaval blushed and apologised profusely. He gave his hand out to (y/n) and helped her up. She got her breath back and gave him her I told you so look. 

"Don't you dare say it!" He warned, slightly embarrassed still. 

"I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you." She promised as he took her hand and they walked back to the cave they now often shared when Diaval wasn't busy or didn't want to sleep in a nest. He placed a kiss on her hand. 

"It's fine. I think you've learnt your lesson...for now." He grinned cheekily.

"Tickle me again and I will hex you! Don't you think that I won't." She threatened him before walking inside, swaying her hips sassily, leaving him stood there in awe before hurrying after her. He loved it when she was like that.