Chapter nine

"Let me come! I can help. For goodness sake, I'm old enough to look after myself!" Cried (y/n). Kings Men had been spotted at the edge of the Moors, trying to find Maleficent. 

"No! You're only eighteen and I'm not going to risk losing you." Maleficent was beginning to lose her patience. 

"Well Diaval is only a few months older than me. You never even asked him if he wanted to help you. You just make everyone do what you want and you don't care. And no one asked for you to rule the Moors! They were happy with the way things were before. And I'm nineteen I'm a couple of months!"

"I don't mind helping, (y/n). She did save my life." Diaval said quietly. "I think it's best that you stay here. I don't want you to get hurt."

"But what if you get hurt? I can't do anything because I'm stuck here all the time! It's not fair! I'm going and you're not stopping me!" (Y/n) yelled angrily before running off. 

She could hear Maleficent behind her, her anger and rage growing. Diaval was calling her name. Guilt filled her but her anger made her run faster. It wasn't fair. (Y/n) picked up her dress so she could go quicker her cloak floating behind her as she ran, snagging and tearing slightly as it got caught on things. Soon she was at the edge of the Moors. A small tear fell down her cheek as she slowly closed her eyes and took a deep breath. It was quiet here and it gave her a chance to calm down. 

A man's voice broke her thoughts. (Y/n) whipped round, ears straining to work out which direction it came from. A few twigs snapped some hundred metres to the left of her. Quickly, she pulled her cloak over her head, sat on the floor and brought her knees up to her chin. 

The sound of a crossbow being drawn sent a shiver down her spine but she continued to face away from the men who had come up behind her pretending she didn't know they were there. Sniffing loudly, (y/n) wiped a tear from her face. 

She could sense the man who had the crossbow raise it slightly but out of the corner of her eye (y/n) saw the man nearest to her signal to him to put it down. 

"Hello? What's your name?" He asked gently, slowly edging towards her. 

"M...my name is (y/n). Can you help me? I don't know where I am." 

As they took her along the edge of the Moors, she made up a story about how she had ran away from her family after an argument (which was kind of true) and had ridden for miles on her horse to get away from them. 

"And I ended up here but something spooked my horse and I was thrown off. I don't know where she went." She finished. (Y/n) could sense her mother watching her but could not see her. But she knew she was there. She could feel her anger radiating off of her. Peering around, (y/n) searched in the dark trees for Maleficent's glowing green eyes.

"What are you looking for?" She asked curiously when her eyes landed on her mother's. "You seem quite scared." A flutter of wings caught her eye. Above where Maleficent was, Diaval sat watching her closely. It was clear many of them hadn't encountered Maleficent before but had heard many tales about her from other soldiers. Those who had fought her before were covered from head to toe in iron armour. Her father had told them about her mother's weakness then. (Y/n) winced slightly when her bare arm brushed against one of the armoured men's arms. Although it didn't burn her like it did her mother, it hurt all the same. 

Maleficent carefully edged forward. Leaves crackled slightly under her feet. The group of men- there were twenty of them- swung round, eyes scanning the trees for any signs of her but they hadn't seen her yet. They sneaked closer to where the sound had come from, swords drawn. (Y/n) decided to have a bit of fun with them. 

"What's that!" She screamed, pointing away from where her mother was standing. 

"Where?" Cried one of the men. 

"There!" Yelled another one, one of the inexperienced ones. 

"Shut up!" Hissed the tallest one, who looked like the leader. "There's nothing there. Don't be so stupid."  He said, clipping the man round the ear. 

An eerie silence fell on the group. Another idea popped into (y/n)'s head. Quietly casting a spell, she sent a sudden gust of wind through a pile of leaves and created a small whirlwind. It twisted round the confused group of men before heading into the trees. She then used it to pick up some fallen branches to create a silhouette of her mother. The horned shadow slowly inched towards the men. They brought their weapons closer to their faces to protect themselves and readied themselves for combat. Suddenly, the leaves and branches fell to the floor and the shadow disappeared. Some of the younger men jumped slightly. A deep, dark laugh rolled through trees. 

"Fools! You dare try and kill me. Don't you know who I am?" Maleficent's voice echoed around them. (Y/n) smirked slightly. Her mother came walking towards them, her signature smirk on her face. She brought her finger to her lips as one of the younger men started to back away in fear, a small gasp escaping his lips. He quickly turned to run but he was grabbed by the other men. Before (y/n) could use more of her tricks, she was pushed to the floor by one of the men in an attempt to protect her as they charged at her mother. Maleficent easily fought the first few off but when the heavily armoured ones came after her, she found it difficult. Yelling in pain, she slowly fought them off one by one. (Y/n) leapt in to help her, ignoring the searing pain in her hands and arms. Diaval came charging at some of them but he was too small to do any damage. When the last men were down, the two women used their magic to tie them up and send them back in a wagon, drawn by Diaval in the form of a horse, to the king. Hopefully he'd get the message. Everything that followed seemed to happen in slow motion. (Y/n) turned to apologise to her mother but a man came walking out of the woods, crossbow raised. How had they missed him? Without thinking, she ran towards him and positioned herself between the man and Maleficent whilst trying to throw the man back into the trees behind him. He crashed into a towering oak tree and was knocked unconscious.  But it was too late. He'd just managed to fire his crossbow. (Y/n) desperately tried to stop it . A sharp pain shot through her right side.  

Maleficent stood in shock, struggling to register what had just happened.  

"I'm sorry." (Y/n) croaked before collapsing to the ground.