Chapter eleven

The hot summer sun shined down on the Moors. Everything was teeming with life. Diaval and (y/n) did their regular check up on Aurora but without Maleficent. She had gone away for a few days to the far ends of the Moors. 

The pair smiled at the child, who was almost three. The fairies were getting slightly better at looking after her but there was still a lot of improvement required. 

Diaval nuzzled his face into her head and planted soft kisses on it. (Y/n) smiled softly as she played with the necklace around her neck. It had been a gift from Diaval for her birthday a couple of weeks ago. It had an acorn on it with a heart etched into it, Diaval had made it himself. 

"Let's do something. It's too hot sitting here." (Y/n) suggested after they had been sat there for a while. 

"I think I have an idea." Diaval stood up and took her by the hand. He hurried through the forest, pulling (y/n) along. 

"Where are we going?" (Y/n) asked as she tried to keep up with his fast pace. 

"You'll see." 

They eventually came to a clearing. Sunlight shimmered off of the mirror like lake. (Y/n) noticed a small rowing boat on the shore. Excitedly, she slipped off her shoes, threw them into the boat and pushed it into the water. Diaval copied her and the pair of them jumped into the boat. The cool water on their feet was refreshing.  

Diaval took the oars and gently rowed them across the calm waters, creating small ripples around them. He eventually stopped in the middle of the huge lake. They sat quietly, enjoying the scenery. (Y/n) spotted the place where they had shared their first kiss and where they had the picnic. 

"Do you mind if I row for a little bit?" (Y/n) asked, turning to face Diaval. 

"Sure." He said standing up. The boat rocked slightly.  They froze. Carefully, they tried to swap places. Diaval accidentally knocked one of the oars, sending it sliding into the water. Apologising, he lunged forward to grab it, tipping the boat. The cold water hit them hard. (Y/n) came to the surface, spat out the water and laughed. 

"Diaval!" She cried laughing.  When he didn't answer she looked around. "Diaval?" She said again, this time concerned. Thankfully,  he appeared next to her, splashing around and coughing. 

"I...I'm...alright *cough cough* I...I think...Can't swim...*cough* very well." He spluttered, trying to keep his head above water.  (Y/n) swam closer to him and got hold of his arm gently. Panicking, he threw himself at her and clung to her, desperately trying to stay afloat. 

"Relax. I've got you." She said soothingly.  Diaval began calming down and stopped kicking frantically, cautiously letting go of her. (Y/n) grabbed an oar for him to hold onto whilst she flipped the boat. They clumsily climbed back in, their wet clothes heavy and weighing them down. 

They shivered slightly despite the warm weather.  

"Let's head back." (Y/n) rowed back to shore and helped Diaval dragged the boat out of the water. They slowly walked back bare foot, they're shoes somewhere in the lake.  

"Do you want to stay with me tonight." (Y/n) said as they reached the cave. She looked at him pitifully, standing there shivering and sniffing slightly. 

"It's fine, I'll be alright." He said reassuringly, planting a kiss on her for head.  

"No. You're ill. I'm not letting you sleep outside where it's cold." (Y/n) replied firmly.  

Diaval was about to remind her he had feathers but decided against it. She was right and he was starting to feel a little unwell. 

"Can I at least fly around for a little bit?" He pleaded. 

"Fine." (Y/n) smiled as she watched him soaring through the sky above her head. 

(Y/n) spent the rest of the day gathering food and wood for the fire. She got everything ready for when he came back, making sure it was perfect. Just as she had finished preparing everything, a tiny pair of feet landed on her shoulder. Gently,  she tickled his chin before turning him back into his human form.

"You have been busy." Diaval looked around at all the food, the fire, the huge furry blanket and pillows. 

"Here." She passed him some dry clothes to put on. While he changed, she snuggled near the fire. 

"Thank you." He sat down next to her, wrapping an arm around her and pulling her close. Although he wasn't shivering anymore, he looked exhausted and was still sniffing. After they'd eaten, (y/n) insisted he get some rest. 

"Yes mother." He replied cheekily, laying down by the dying fire. (Y/n) lay next to him, wrapping her arms around his waist. Diaval turned to face her, capturing her lips a deep kiss. 

"Goodnight my pretty bird."