15 Wolf and his human

"Dad," she cried out as the door swung open. A man in his late 50s rushed in and went straight to Fay. He didn't pay any attention to Seth as he hugged his daughter and kissed her forehead. Seth excused himself. He needed a break or he would break. 

 He squeezed his hands into tight fists as he walked out of the building to the parking lot.  He was alone so he could let his guard down and let the animalistic anger take over. A deep growl rumbled from his chest and echoed all over. At that moment he didn't even try to control his wolf side. His eyes turned darker than the night sky above him. 

He had lost a mate. Patiently he had waited for her and given her her freedom. And now that he had finally experienced the mate bond in its fullest it had been ripped away from him. His wolf side was blaming his human nature for not protecting his mate and most importantly for trying to silence the wolf. He had been too soft - Fay should have never been able to leave. An alpha shouldn't be this soft - this weak. Fay should've been tamed. His mother had been right. 

Seth's breathing started to calm down. He glanced back at the clinic doors. He didn't know what would happen next, could the doctor do anything. During the car ride, he had forced himself to believe everything would be ok and they could have a human relationship. But now he was doubting himself. How could he love her now when part of him hated her for not staying with him all those years ago. A frustrated sigh escaped his lips as he thought about the human lying on the hospital bed in the building next to him. Her fierce independence and stubbornness had ruined his life. The human in him reminded Seth that her fierce independence and stubbornness were the things that he had always been crazy about. 

****************************************************

Shawn couldn't help himself but stare. His mate was sitting on a big rock without her shoes. The waves couldn't just quite touch her bare feet. The wind was playing with her hair. She had been marveling at the ocean while he had made them breakfast. Their time on the small island, his family-owned, had changed everything for both of them. Evelyn had come out of her shell. Shawn chuckled as memories of previous nights crossed his mind. Her passionate eyes and a teasing smile drove him crazy. So crazy that he almost didn't recognize himself. He smiled more - like an idiot. And like an idiot, last night he had put on some music and slow danced with her. "I don't dance," he had stated. "You do from now on," she had whispered. And he knew she was right. He would dance with her whenever and wherever she wanted. 

Evelyn heard him coming and turned her head. She gave him a warm smile.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey yourself," she answered. 

"Breakfast is ready," Seth said and extended his hands towards Evelyn. She took it and stepped down from the rock. She let out a small squeal when a wave touched her bare skin. 

"Oh! It's so cold," she laughed.

"You barely even touched the water," Shawn chuckled and pulled her to him. He hugged her and gave a small kiss on her forehead. "Let's go inside. I need to call my brother after breakfast. He left me a voice mail to get back to him."

They started to walk towards the cabin hand in hand. 

"Everything ok?" Evelyn asked.

"Yeah," he sighed. His brother's voice had sounded strange but Shawn wanted to enjoy the morning just a little longer. 

****************************************************

Fay hadn't slept at all. Her skin was pale as she rested her head against the pillow. Seth never came back after leaving last night. Fay's father sat in an armchair next to the bed. He was asleep but quickly opened his eyes as the doctor entered the room. 

"Morning. How are you feeling?" Dr. Jacobs asked.

"Tired."

Dr. Jacobs walked to Fay's bed and put his hand on her forehead.

"You're still warm, but no high fever."

"Dr. Jacobs, were you able to figure out what's happening to her?" Fay's father asked.

"Yes and no," the doctor said. He too looked tired after working the whole night analyzing Fay's blood and bone marrow samples. He wasn't wearing his white jacket anymore. His hair was a little ruffled. But once he started to talk about the test results and what they could mean, his eyes filled with excitement and curiosity. 

"I couldn't figure out what the serum is. The blood sample didn't help either, except it told us you have anemia. But there was something interesting in your bone marrow sample."

"What?" Fay and her father asked in unison. 

"I don't know how to put it, because I've never seen anything like this before. But it looks like your body is reacting to the serum in a similar way a body reacts to cancer treatments. Looks like  it's killing fast-growing cells and especially your blood-forming cells."

"So the Ravens gave me a wolf-killing cancer treatment," Fay chuckled darkly. "Just great."