17. The dark blue door

After a tearful phone call from Fay, the women of the She Wolf Pack had packed their belongings and left the city with a rental car. They were on their way to Blackwood Bay. It was a relief they weren't near Harriet Trinh anymore, but Fay couldn't relax until they were with her. 

 Doctor Jacobs had discharged Fay from the clinic. It would be better for her to rest in a home-like environment and he would keep researching the serum. But Fay didn't have a home in Blackwood Bay anymore. 

"Dad, can I stay with you at the motel?" Fay asked. Before her father could answer, Seth who had just walked into the room snorted.

"You're not staying at the motel," he said and crossed his arms. 

"I'm not?" Fay was in no mood to get into a fight with him, but she knew that they were not just talking about sleeping arrangements. 

"You're coming with me," he stated.

"Seth..."

"Hey, I'm not letting you stay in a damn motel room. Besides you need someone to have an eye on you and bring you back here if something happens."

"My father is there. He can take care of me."

"No he can't," Seth said. Fay could hear he was getting irritated.

Fay's father was sitting next to her on the bed. He put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him. 

"I think you'd better go with him, baby girl. I have to leave before dawn," he said.

Fay frowned. How could he leave her now? Her father saw the hurt in her eyes.

"I'm leaving because I need to keep you safe," he said with a small smile. "I'll try to find out what Finnigan is planning."

Fay nodded and leaned her head against his shoulder. 

"He'll take good care of you," her father whispered. Fay sighed. She was not doubting that. She just didn't want to go where he would take her.

"I don't want to stay in that house," she said, still leaning against her father, but looking at Seth. 

"She won't bother you. I'll make sure of it."

Fay shook her head, knowing there was nothing Seth could do to prevent Elise Cage from bothering her as long as they were in the same house. 

"Baby girl, you do have to face her some time, so why not get over with it now." Fay's father said. 

She felt all the energy escape her body.

"Fine. I'll go with you."

************************************

Before they stepped out of Seth's car, Fay and Seth both stared at the house in silence. Nothing had changed in the last nine years. Even the garden looked exactly the same. And the dark blue front door. Shivers went down her spine. That door had been in her dreams since the day she ran out of it in panic. It felt like yesterday.

Seth cleared his throat. 

"Ready?" he asked knowing the battle Fay was fighting in her mind.

"No," she let out a chuckle, which almost turned into a sob. She bit her lower lip to keep herself together. 

"You're a human now, she won't kill you," Seth tried to lighten the mood. 

"You think," Fay gave him a tired smile.

"Yeah. And...  Mother has her hands full with turning my sister into a lady."

This made Fay laugh. Serafina Cage, or Shay as she now demanded to be called, had always been nothing but a lady. Fay remembered how the little miss Cage had turned her mother crazy with her tomboy stunts, torn dresses, and improper language. She hadn't seen Shay in nine years, but she knew the youngest Cage sibling had left the Blackwater Bay after high school. Her Instagram was full of pictures of her surfing in Hawaii. Guess she was back now for whatever reason. 

"I know what will cheer you up and give you the courage you need. Close your eyes, it's a surprise." Seth chuckled. Fay rolled her eyes but obeyed. 

A familiar song started to blast out from the car speakers.

"Oh my God," she laughed as the words hit her: Shot through the heart and you're to blame. You give love a bad name. 

"Bad name," Seth sang and lift his fist up dramatically.

"I guess you remember," he laughed and slightly titled his head as he looked at Fay.

"How could I forget?" she smiled. 

They played the whole song and let their minds be filled with the bliss of a happy memory. For a moment Seth could see a familiar spark in Fay's eyes.  

For a short moment, Fay forget she had lost her wolf side and she was about to walk through the dark blue door. 

*****************

Hey you!

I hope you liked the chapter. If you're wondering about the song, it's Bon Jovi's You give love a bad name. This week I'm going to write a chapter for FAY (which you can now find attached to Chased by the wolf instead of a separate book) in which I reveal why the song is so meaningful for Fay and Seth - it's a fun and CUTE story!

I also wanted to add this gif to this chapter, because I picture Fay looking like this now that she has lost the wolf. There's a sadness in her eyes. She feels lost because her whole identity has been stolen from her. 

BTW, next chapter we'll meet the Ice Queen aka the bitch aka the mother-in-law. Yikes!

I'd love to hear from you, so please comment and vote!