3

3 | 𝙎𝙏𝙐𝘾𝙆

3 | 𝙎𝙏𝙐𝘾𝙆

One minute I'm willing to jump off a bridge at Ms. Aarons's command, and the next I'm having a conversation with some of the Avengers—without a weapon in my hand.

Natasha, Tony, and Steve are still watching me warily. I haven't made any moves to harm them, despite my training and instincts, but I still understand their caution.

Tony turns to Natasha. "So. . . You've never even thought to tell us about your sister? Who, by the looks of it, is a spy?" He points at me.

"I'm an assassin," I correct and cross my arms.

Tony makes gestures at me as if I just proved his point.

Steve shifts his weight to one leg, his gaze narrowing on me. "Were you going to assassinate someone?"

I shrug. "Not today."

"That's—that's not the answer I was looking for."

Natasha crosses her arms and looks at the two men beside her. "Do you guys mind giving us a minute?" When neither move, she raises her brow.

Hesitant, Steve nods. He and Tony back out of the room and close the door behind them. When it's only Natasha and myself in the room,  I lean against the desk waiting for her to speak. I don't know what I expect to hear, but I'm anticipating something that will clear up the conflicting thoughts jumbled up in my head. If it turns out that the information I've been downloading was wrong, and SWAN is the organization I always believed it to be, then I could always get back on track with my original mission, plus a few extra fatalities.

Natasha's eyes linger on the shut door for a while before she turns her attention to me. She takes a step forward.

"Weapons on the table."

I blink. "Excuse me?"

She gets closer. "I said weapons on the table." When I don't move, she purses her lips and sets her hands on her hips. "You either put your weapons on the table, or I call the authorities and you get locked up. Your choice."

Damn. I sigh and give in, sliding off my suit jacket. I reach down my shirt and take the small dagger from my bra and set it on the table, then place the knife from my belt beside it. I cross my arms once I'm done.

Natasha gives me a flat look. "I said all of your weapons."

"That is all of my weapons."

Natasha scoffs. "The Ms. Aarons I knew didn't let us leave the compound with only two little knives."

"You knew Ms. Aarons?" I ask, my brow furrowing. Of course she knew Ms. Aarons, her profile said she was a former member of SWAN.