5

5 | 𝙍𝙐𝙉

5 | 𝙍𝙐𝙉

I wake up in the morning disorientated and confused. It takes a minute for everything that happened since yesterday to rush in all at once.

With my knees popping as I stand, I get up from my spot on the ground and stretch out my limbs. The sky is still dark outside the window, but I know it's morning because of the digital clock on the book shelf that flashes 4:00. I quickly get changed into the clothes Natasha lent me yesterday for dinner and brush my teeth with an unused tooth brush set out on the counter next to a new tube of toothpaste and a package of floss.

Once I'm ready I walk out of the bathroom and back into my room towards the door. I already know that it's locked before I even wiggle the doorknob but try it out anyways.

I'm guessing my schedule is a bit different from the other people living in the tower, so I'm not sure how long until they decide to unlock my door. Until then I'll just warm my body up.

I start with stretches but my legs soon start to tingle. I haven't ran with the other trainees in two days—my legs are itching to run. Unfortunately that is quite impossible to do so in my room, so I settle on simple exercises to try to ease the itching. I do push-ups, leg lifts, squats, lunges, sit ups—everything.

I'm just starting to break a sweat when there's a click. I perk up from my spot on the floor and stand. I immediately try for the doorknob and, instead of remaining stiff, it turns.

The hallway is empty as I step out of my room. I frown, but it's wiped off my face as soon as I get a whiff of something delicious. I let my bedroom door close behind me before following the aroma to the kitchen where I find Steve and Bucky. Steve's standing in front of the stove with two pans over small flames. One pan has eggs and the other has pancakes. Bucky is seated at the kitchen counter on a stool as he and Steve talk quietly.

My presence still unknown to the men, I lean against the wall and listen to their conversation.

"It's different from your situation, Buck. You were under Hydra's control."

"Wasn't she under SWAN's control?" Bucky replies, taking a sip of coffee from a plain black mug.

"As far as I'm aware she willingly did whatever she was told. She didn't have to be wiped of her memories after every mission like you." Steve flips the pancake and turns. When he sees me standing behind Bucky he opens his mouth, then closes it. Bucky turns as well.

"Please, continue," I say, crossing my arms. "Obviously you know more about my situation than I do."

Steve sighs. "I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were awake."