9

9 | 𝘿𝙀𝘼𝙇

9 | 𝘿𝙀𝘼𝙇

"So, you sent her to her room, like a kid having a tantrum?" Tony chastises Steve.

I watch from the vents as the two argue, both of the grown men thinking I'm in my room still. Someone is bound to be watching the security cameras, so it's only a matter of time until they come after me. When Steve, Bucky, and I came back to the tower, word of what happened had already spread and there were videos trending online. From listening in on Tony, Steve, and Natasha's conversation, I have learned that the media is calling me dangerous and hostile. I don't disagree, but none of this is their business so they shouldn't be saying their irrelevant opinions all over the place.

Steve sets his hands on his hips and retorts, "I don't know if you've noticed or not, Tony, but Nikita is a kid." 

"She's 19, which counts as an adult" Natasha intervenes. Steve gives her a betrayed look, and she just looks away, commenting, "And her outburst was very public."

"Everything's public these days," Steve murmurs under his breath. Running a hand down his face, he asks, "What do you want to do?"

Tony shrugs. "I don't know."

"Well, we can't lock her up."

"Why not?" Tony challenges, earning a sharp glare from Steve and a look of disbelief from Natasha. Tony puts his hands up defensively. "People are scared. I mean, she threw a janitor out of a window."

"It wasn't a janitor, and you've seen the tape—she came at Nikita with a knife," Steve corrects him with frustration clear as day in his voice.

Natasha lifts a hand to her ear piece, listening intently to whatever message she's receiving. She sighs, drawing the men's eyes to her. "She left her room. They don't know where she is"

Tony pinches the bridge of his nose, frustrated and done with the situation. "I've got other things to worry about. You two go find her." Tony leaves the room, leaving Steve and Natasha alone.

As soon as the door shuts behind Tony, I decide now is the time to show myself. Kicking the vent cover off and sending it clattering against the floor between Steve and Natasha, I jump down with an adroit landing despite the height of the drop. Steve jumps back in surprise, but when he sees that it's only me, he relaxes.

Natasha smirks and presses her ear piece. "Found her." She crosses her arms and narrows her eyes at me, and in return I just smile. "Were you listening to our conversation the whole time?"

"Maybe." I shrug nonchalantly.

Steve, on the other hand, is plain confused. He peers up at the open vent and asks, "How did you even get up there?"

"You don't want to know," I reply curtly. The look on Steve's tempts me to laugh, but I keep my face blank. I could have easily just told him that I ripped off the vent cover in my bathroom, wiggled my way in, and then found my way into the main ventilation system from my deep knowledge of the building. I hadn't used the vents before because I thought they would kick me out if they found me sneaking around, but I'm over that now. Rocking back on the heels of my feet, I ask, "So what's for dinner?"

Steve and Natasha exchange a look. Running a hand down her face, Natasha says, "Nik, we need to talk—"

"Stop speaking to me like I'm a child," I snap despite not actually feeling like she's talking down to me. I don't mind fighting; in fact, I'm comfortable with it. Punching, screaming, kicking, insulting—that's way easier than sitting down and talking. Conversations stimulate emotions I'm unfamiliar with. Fighting ignites anger and adrenaline.

Natasha goes silent. Her eyes bore into mine like she's reading me, but she can't, no matter how hard she tries. They say eyes are a window into the soul, but my soul was crushed many years ago.

When Natasha finally speaks, her eyes never leave mine and she says, "Steve, give us a moment, please,"

Steve glances between me and redhead before reluctantly turning and leaving. As soon as the door clicks behind him, the emotionless facade falls from her face. Seriousness shades her features.

Already uncomfortable, I take a seat in a swivel chair and set my feet up on the desk to lighten the mood.

"We're going to talk like civil adults, and we aren't going to argue, okay?" Natasha levels. When I don't voice a response, she pushes my feet off the desk. I catch myself before I can slip from the spinny chair. "I'm going to set some ground rules. Rule One: Show some respect."

"Rule Two: Stop acting like my mom," I fire back with a mockingly cheery voice.

Natasha isn't amused. In fact, she seems rather irritated. "I wouldn't have to if you just—" She sighs, cutting herself off short. "I won't treat you like a kid anymore, okay? But I won't follow your rules unless you follow mine."

I nod. Seems fair enough, I guess.

Satisfied with my compliance, she says, "No more sneaking around in the vents."

"No more coming into my room without knocking," I suggest, and she doesn't argue.

"You have to come to every team dinner."

"I can go outside whenever I want." Natasha gives me a look at my request, so I add, "As long as I stay on the property."

"You can't lie."

"I can't lie?" Okay, and I thought my last rule was a bit of a stretch. Literally everybody lies everyday; it's a natural part of being a human being. Brow furrowed, I ask, "What do you mean I can't lie?"

Natasha shrugs as if it's simple. "I can tell when something's wrong with you, maybe it's a sister thing, I don't know. The rule is: you can't lie about your physical or emotional state to me." 

I cross my arms over my chest defensively. "My physical and emotional states are none of your business."

"It's a rule."

"A stupid one."

"It's still a rule," Natasha insists. When I just look away and scoff, she raises a brow. "Do we have a deal?"

I glance back at her watching me expectedly. Pursing my lips, I finally give in. "Fine."

_____
HELLO!!!
So I am very aware of how short this chapter is, but . . . At least I updated?
Anyways, I've been making myself busy by writing my Peter fic (To Find Light in the Dark), re-plotting this book, and writing a new marvel fic *it's a Steve Rogers one ;)*
Just in case any of you were curious.

Thanks so much for reading! Sorry I haven't updated in ages. Love you all!