» xviii. darkness

I stirred, my arm extending to the side only to be met with the soft, cold sheets. Immediately I shot up, looking around the room frantically. Nathan had disappeared. There were no notifications on my phone other than Victoria asking whether I was coming to the End of the World Party or not. How ironic.

After taking a deep breath I glanced over at the clock, realising that it was almost eight. The sun had almost disappeared, the moon taking it's place, as I hurried out of the dormitories and towards the swimming pool. I cut the line by the wardrobes, considering I didn't even think to take a jacket with me in the first place.

The red lights flashed at a fast pace, making me lightheaded. The music was much louder than the last time, and it resonated within my stomach with so much more force and vigour. I felt sick.

My eyes travelled across the groups of people; the ones by the pool and inside of it, the ones dancing and the ones talking by the bar. Even though, should Nathan be here at all, he would be in the VIP section, I didn't want to risk missing him. The way he was right now … who knee what kind of trouble he would end up getting himself into this time.

"Woah, easy there," a faint voice called out as I apologized for bumping into whoever it was. The person held onto my arm and I looked up to face Mr Jefferson. I wasn't sure whether to vomit or punch him in the face. "Madeline? Is everything alright? You look like you need some fresh air."

I scoffed and shrugged his hands off, turning to leave.

"Hey! I'm your teacher, you better show me some respect!" he practically yelled over the music.

"People like you don't deserve respect," I murmured, knowing he couldn't hear it. I kept walking, until the bouncer by the VIP section stopped me.

"Are you on the list, missy?"

"Sorry, I don't have time for this," I said, trying to push past him. Just Then Victoria appeared, and I was actually grateful when she pulled me behind the curtain.

"Finally one of you shows up!" she exclaimed, throwing up her hands in exasperation. I furrowed my brows.

"One of us?"

"Yeah, I've been trying to reach Nathan all evening. He's seen all my texts but he won't respond. Do you happen to know anything? Cause I'm honestly getting the creeps. Brr." She shivered. "Anyway, do you want anything to drink? We got vodka, wine- … Hey, are you even listening to me??"

I blinked a couple times and placed a hand on Victoria's arm, giving her an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, I really have to be somewhere. Rain check?"

"Are you sure?"

I turned to leave before giving her a reply and hurried out of the exit at the back, in order to avoid Jefferson. The brightness of my phone screen almost felt blinding.

1 missed call, 1 new message

My heart sank even deeper when I held the phone up to my ear and Nathan's voice came through. He sounded terrified.

"Maddie. I'm so sorry. I fucked up so bad. I'm- Theres nothing I can do to make this go away. If I could turn back time, I would. Believe me. I'm so so sorry it has to be like this. The storm, all the people … you should get out while you still can. Please. He's coming for me next. Maddie, I want you to go somewhere safe. Somewhere he won't be able to get to you. At least he won't get to you. I'm sorry. I hope you'll find your way. I love you."

I listened to the message a second time, and my heartbeat went from nearly having stopped into a frenzy the moment I heard the sound of the train in the background. The junkyard. Why the hell would he be in the junkyard?