Ch. 3: Cocker Roach's Curse

I flew as fast as I could to get to that neighborhood with my friends behind me. I circled above as other aerial guards dove for the roaches. Ground troops poured into the street and helped get civilians to safety. I scanned the area from the sky while Hoth, Digger, and the others searched with the officers below. They were looking for possible hostages. I was looking for my father.

"I think I see a [Discounted Old Cars] getting away!" Spamton alerted me and pointed towards a beat-up white van driving away from the havoc. I knew this had to be part of Father's plan. I knew he'd mug a few children and take them to some undisclosed location, hoping I'd track him down to only defeat me entirely while I'm off the grid. I couldn't let him continue his crimes so, I had to intervene.

"I'll go take care of him, Spamton." I told the crooked salesman "You and the crew need to get the officers to follow me to the corner up ahead. Once I stop that van, we gotta get those kids out. Then, we can deal with Father." I flew to the corner and waited for the vehicle. Once it was close, I sent small crystals towards the tires to pop them before forming a soft wall of clouds to stop the van. After the van came to a complete stop, I opened the doors and helped the young hostages out while Undyne and local police dealt with my father. I made sure none of the kids were hurt and reassured the families that this crime won't happen again. They thanked us for saving their kids from my father while the officers walked that old creep to one of the cruisers.

Before the officers left for Mt. Ebbott, one of them had called me over, asking if there was any more evidence of the abuse I could provide to prosecute or sue. Unfortunately, I couldn't give any more evidence. We had already provided everything we could back when I was twelve and the mystic council never fully prosecuted him for rape or child abuse. They only granted Ma the divorce and sent him to prison and it seemed this human government was doing the same.

I didn't wanna see Father. I never wanted to see him. He's going against the restraining order and he knows it. But I was determined to make him pay even if it meant having to be around him long enough to kill him. It's not about seeking justice. It's about seeking revenge. Now, I was face to face with the perpetrator and I was containing the urge to end his life in front of the cops because I also didn't wanna go to jail.

"I hope you never come back out." I told that ugly demon of a father I had "I hope you stay and learn what it was like for me to endure all that. I hope you rot wherever they drop you this time." I spoke coldly, my helmet warping my voice. I watched him as he fumbled in his pockets while in handcuffs for something. He soon pulled out a small gift and tried handing it to me before one of the officers stopped him.

"Sir, we're going to have to confiscate that from you." began the officer "We'll examine the contents of that gift and decide whether the princess wants it or not."

"It's just a small necklace! Nothing to get worked up about!" reassured the former king "I didn't steal it either. I had someone go out and buy it since I wasn't allowed in the mall." I didn't believe anything he said. I took the gift from him and told the officers I'd have someone examine it. Mettaton had recently had x-ray scanners installed, so I figured he'd be able to check the box before I open it.

I know what you're thinking and I don't know why he'd even bother getting me a gift for my birthday anymore either. It's just really strange when an abuser still claims to care so much about you and give you nice things. It could just be a way of apologizing for what he did or it could be a way to earn my trust again. I'm not buying it, though. Why? Because I stopped caring about his birthdays after the divorce and never once thought about Father's Day either. Why celebrate having a dad when I never had one? I'll celebrate other dads as long as they aren't like mine. Those are the real ones. The ones that stay, love their wife and kids, and never hurt any of them.

As I turned away from the cop car I heard my father saying something about the gift. I couldn't catch all of it so I turned back to him. "What was that you said?" I asked "You were saying something about the necklace, right?"

The old roach just stared at me with his corrupted smile. I had a feeling what was about to come out of his mouth would be bad. "It's nothing important. But definitely keep an eye on a couple of your friends, Uniqua." he spoke "Heed this call and prepare as you wish. Your people will fall and friends will vanish. You cannot escape the crazed love, for the eagle will be defeated by the dove. When the sun of your birth has moved for the moon, an unlikely hero will come for you. You may cry and scream into the night, but the war is over. There is no need to fight."

I was left clueless again as the black and white vehicle drove off to Mt. Ebbott. I turned over what Father had told me and I still couldn't understand any part of it. I was broken from my thoughts when I felt Mettaton's hand on my arm. I nearly dropped the small box as I jumped away.

"Are you doing alright after confronting your father, dear?" he asked me "I know he just wanted to give you a gift but, what else did he tell you?" He seemed really genuine. It was almost as if he just wanted some kinda bragging rights for something here. Or maybe he actually cared? Tch, like I'd ever let him in.

"It's not important. At least not important to you." I sneered, handing him the wrapped box "Just scan this and tell me if it's jewelry or not." I watched Mettaton take the gift from my hand and carefully examine it for a minute using his newly added x-ray vision. It wasn't long before I got an answer.

"It is indeed a necklace." he started "It's a princess cut emerald pendant with sterling silver and rose gold. An odd color pallette choice but, I suppose it works." I removed the bow and wrapping paper from the box and opened it. The same necklace Mettaton described was resting neatly against the soft velvet interior. I lifted it carefully to get a better look at the green gem. Something about it wasn't quite right. I just couldn't put my hoof on it.

"I'll have to test this to see if he put any dark magic on it." I began "I have a feeling he cursed it or imbued it with some spell that'll either kill me or make me turn against my homies." Yeah, I know it doesn't seem possible if he "just wanted to be nice," guys. I just wanted more answers. I was extremely skeptical of this gesture. Who wouldn't be if they're the victim of abuse? The fact Father spewed complete nonsense before they took him away added to my suspicion. It really just sounded like a spell, curse, or dark prophecy. Now, I had to do some research to be sure and figure out how to stop it before it's too late.