|14|

Beta Sam was somewhat surprised by the woman before him. The first impression he had of her had been made during the challenge for her title; he had thought that she was like wildfire- fierce and untameable, he definitely thought that it was a strange pairing for Adam, and whilst he knew she would make a great Luna, he wasn't entirely sure about her being Adam's mate.

However, the girl that was sitting on his Alpha's lap didn't seem to be any of the things he first thought; that didn't mean he was foolish enough to think she couldn't be those things. Though seeing them together, how comfortable and happy they seemed, his worry about the pair seemed to disappear. He supposed the Moon Goddess really did know what she was doing.

Leora felt tense in the silence, the only thing that was soothing her was the feeling of Adam's fingers over her clothed hip. So far all he had done was addressed her as 'Luna', which as far as she was concerned was a positive start.

Something about his voice reminded her of the mountains- terse, strong, formidable. It rang crisp and clear though the space; it was a pleasant sound, but not in the same way that Adam's was, it was just honest. Leora wondered if he looked anything like he sounded.

She could sense his loyalty to Adam, his admiration and trust radiated off him in waves like Adam's dominance.

"I need warriors ready in case something breaks out," Adam sighed as he rubbed Leora's side. "Both Vincent and Damien are hot heads, and I have no doubt that Damien will try to rile Vincent up."

"Yes Alpha," Sam nodded in understanding.

"Don't you think your Alpha friend will be offended by your lack of trust?" Leora asked suddenly, if she were in their position she would. Of course, she also understood Adam's position. "I know it's for pack safety, but so is friendly relations."

Adam beamed proudly at his mate, Sam looked to him with a short questioning glance.

"The Luna is right, Vincent is one of your closest friends and his mix of hot bloodedness and Alpha ego might be fractured by disrespect... All you Alpha males are the same." Sam snorted, taking in Adam's offended face: "No offence, Alpha."

Leora giggled, she could tell that they were somewhat closer than just work-mates; their easy going relationship made Leora realise what it meant to be packmates.

Adam smiled, he liked that both his Beta and his Mate were getting along well. It meant that if anything arose in the future they would both make a good team, especially if he couldn't be there for some reason.

"I'd agree with you but I haven't met any other Alphas," Leora spoke up. "But if they're all as nice as Adam, then I'm sure they're not so bad."

Beta Sam laughed, "Oh Luna, you haven't seen anything yet."

The Beta's comment left a small niggle at the back of Adam's mind. Of course Sam was right, Leora had barely seen anything of what it was to be an Alpha; he only hoped that the real beast didn't scare her away.

Leora also felt a stirring in her gut, though she herself was unsure as to why. Perhaps it was nervousness or perhaps even excitement. What she knew however was that she wanted to know every part of Adam, the Alpha and her mate.

The meeting went on for another half an hour as they discussed the rest of the meeting. It was agreed that in a show of good faith, both Alpha's would be offered food and hospitality.

Leora continued to offer insights where she could, though she mostly sat listening to the conversation. She learnt a lot, and even felt valuable, as she gained a deeper understanding of what it meant to be part of an intrinsic part of the pack.