|31|

There was a slight awkwardness that filled the air as Adam and Leora sat down to dinner the evening of the next day. They had done the same thing the day before but after the tense car ride and the younger couples mysterious absence, dinner had been an uncomfortable affair.

Christian had continued his harsh behaviour towards Adam, much to everyones dismay. Leora had been biting her lip in an attempt to not seem disrespectful, but she wasn't sure how much longer she could put up with his sharp, unnecessary quips. 

 It was unbelievable how he'd found things to criticise Adam about-even the good parts about him, Christian had somehow found a way to twist into gnarly accusatory barbs. The biggest kicker was  finding out that the couple had barely been together for more than 4 months. Both her parents were beyond shocked that their relationship had moved so quickly- Katya had been utterly speechless, not knowing how to react to the news but Christian had been a different story, blowing a fuse at the mere idea. 

He had accused Adam of all sorts of horrible and downright ridiculous possibilities such as putting a spell on his daughter, kidnapping her or pressuring her. Leora had been outraged, and wanted to speak against her father- respect be damned- but Adam had comforted her not to. Instead the Alpha dealt with the situation in a diplomatic and respectful manner, so much so that Katya had scolded her husband for his behaviour in front of the younger couple before apologising profusely to her daughter and her lover. 

Leora could see how, to humans, the idea was ludicrous but she had the added- supernatural- assurance that she had found the one. It was something that she couldn't tell her parent, and even if she could they probably wouldn't believe or understand. All she had to do was convince them that Adam was perfect- and more importantly was going to stay. 

She had tried to explain to her parents in the best way possible that she hadn't been, forced, coerced or been the victim of any kind of foul play when it came to her relationship with Adam. For all her pleading, she had managed to convince her mother that being with Adam had been her choice, and she had freely agreed to marrying him- even going as far as saying marriage was her idea. However, Christian wasn't as easily convinced as his wife.

Christian was less obvious in his distaste after being called out- though even he himself knew that he was being inappropriate. He had hoped that by pointing out Adams flaws it would make Leora more hesitant in wanting to tie the knot; after spending time in Adams presence he knew that the man was somewhat decent, but he didn't want his little girl to rush into a serious relationship with a man she had only known a few months.

He was probably going about it the wrong way, but his intentions were pure. He wanted the best for his daughter, to protect her from getting hurt. (Which in his opinion rushing into a marriage so early, would eventually lead to some kind of hurt.) Marriage was hard, it took sacrifice, compromise and a lot more than just love- Christian wasn't sure that Leora and Adam was ready for that kind of commitment, regardless of how much they claimed to love each other.

"I hope you don't expect us to pay for the wedding." Christian raised a brow in question. He had realised that he probably couldn't break the couple up but perhaps derail the marriage- at least for a few years until they knew each other better.

"Actually, I'll be covering all the expenses sir," Adam replied politely. "Money isn't a problem, I just want your daughter to be happy."

His hand found Leoras under the table, squeezing it gently in a silent, compassionate comfort. Leora's lips twitched with a smile, enjoying the way her had fit in his like it was supposed to be there.

"And what do your parents think about this? Hmmm, getting married so quickly?" Leora's father continued to grill the couple. Katya sat by quietly, she didn't interrupt the interview that Christian seemed to be giving partly because she too wanted to know all that she could. She had a feeling that her husband needed to do this to give him peace of mind, and to come to terms with the fact that he was no longer the only man in his little girls life.