33 - Aftermath

A/N: Any thoughts on how it's going? Does it make sense? It does in my head but that doesn't mean much...

* * * * *

The hospital are happy enough for Gabriel to be released into my care after he's fully awake and has run through a barrage of tests. I know the old doctor, Dr Mallory, is looking askance at the bruising on Gabriel's throat, requesting I leave the room while he speaks to him. I do it readily, pleased, in fact, that he cares enough to check on Gabriel's well-being.

Landon's sexy little friend comes over at the end of his shift to check on Gabriel, just when Dr Mallory is checking him out.

"Hi, you're Landon's friend, right? How is the patient?"

"Just getting a final run through with Dr Mallory. It's Gray, by the way, Gray Kemholt."

"You're not Dr Kemholt are you? The psychiatrist?"

"Uh, yeah, I am...?"

"Sorry for fanboying. It's just we read one of your books in school, and it's one of the reasons why I plan on specializing in clinical psychology when I've finished my residency in three months."

"That's great," I'm impressed, he looks young to have already got this far. "And thanks for all the help with Gabriel. We really appreciate you going the extra mile for him."

"Is he...?" he blushes, and I try to work out what's got him in that state.

I decide to cut out any fluff.

"He was Sawyer's submissive. The guy you scraped up last night. He doesn't know yet, and I'd appreciate if you didn't mention what happened, I need to evaluate his mental state, particularly as it's pretty obvious Sawyer's state of mind was almost certainly affected as a direct result of what he did to Gabriel first."

"Was it an...ongoing problem?"

"It was, but he took it too far. He thought he'd killed him when he ran off. I don't know how Gabriel is going to react. I'm hoping he'll be relieved, but, I mean, you know..."

As an ER doc I'm certain he sees plenty that leads him to despair in human nature.

"Oh, I'm Noah, by the way," and hot doc finally shakes my hand.

* * * * *

Noah comes back to mine to help me settle Gabriel in, who hasn't said much, just quietly acquiesced to my suggestion that he stay with me. He's wearing Ellis' too big trackpants and a t-shirt and sneakers Noah had in his locker.

I messaged Amir before we set off, and he's got a sweet cup of tea waiting for him on our return, which he accepts with trembling hands.

"Do you want to rest?" I ask, taking in his pale, drawn face.

"I guess. Does Sawyer know I'm here?"

I'm truthful, if not honest.

"No, he doesn't."

I'm hoping he'll at least feel safer at that, before I can tell him what has happened, which I think should wait until he's rested, at least.

When Gabriel is settled in his room and sleeping deeply, Amir and Owen go out and I take Noah into the kitchen. My housekeeper, Mrs Miggins, is bustling around the large space, unpacking groceries.

"Do you boys want breakfast? I'll make waffles."

"Thanks, Mrs M," I smile.

She's the best housekeeper ever. Not only because she's a killer cook, but because she's never fazed by anything. I hired her as soon as I bought the house, and told her straight away that I was a Dom. I remember her chuckling in the warm way she has and just announcing.