9. Hiking

August 18, 2017

"Dad?" I ask, going into the kitchen where he's at. "Hey," I say and sit down in front of him over the table.
"Hey, Jug. What's up?" he asks, making me grin. He just got home from work and every time that happens he's all hungry like me, so he's eating so messy.
I chuckle. "Nothing. Just making sure you're still taking us hiking soon," I say.
He smirks. "When have I ever missed that, huh?"
"You haven't, I just thought maybe you'd have to work..." I say, unsure about how much money we have left for this month. Let's just say my parents aren't the richest people in the town.
"We're fine, Jug," he assures, understanding my question. "They have to give me a paid vacation for a month in a year. I can take a week in the end of this month."
I smile and nod. "And... who more is coming? I refuse to be the only parent around," he says, pointing his finger at me as I steal a few of his fries.
"Well mom's working. I'm pretty sure that either Alice or Hal can come though," I assure him.
"And the kids?" he asks me. When we were little, it was always me, Jelly, Archie, Veronica, Betty, Polly and Chaz, but now he's 22 and living in LA, being an actor.
"Well, Betty's coming for sure," I smile, making him chuckle. "Jelly's coming and I think she's taking Jen with her? And then Betty said that Polly's probably not coming this year or well... ever. She's a senior, so she'll be-"
"And she doesn't want to come this year either?" he asks with a confused look.
"Well, it's possible that her parents promised her to go to New York with Trev for two weeks, so..." I smirk.
"Wow," he chuckles. "Alice said that?"
"Mhmm, surprisingly," I smirk.
"And the others?" he goes on.
"Archie and Veronica are like 99 percent coming and Veronica's parents are at work, but Archie's dad said he maybe can come with us," I say.
"And have you talked about hoe long?" he asks.
""For a week?" I ask.
He gives me a look. "You're gonna wash yourself in a lake?"
I shrug. "Why not? We just need shampoo."
He chuckles and shakes his head. "At first get me the list of parents who are agreeing to come with you crazy kids and then let's talk."
I sigh, take my phone and text the group with me, Betty, Veronica and Archie.

J: Dad said he's coming, wants to know about your parents

I get answers immediately.

B: Mom's free, dad has to work
V: Mine can't. If Alice Cooper is coming, we're all dead lol
B: Shut up 😂 I'm still alive
J: Not for long
A: Mine is checking his calendar...
B: My mom's still free...
J: If it's only my dad and your mom it might even work out, maybe she lets loose
V: I'd like to see that
A: Alice Cooper lets loose? Hah hard to believe
B: I'd personally like to see that...
J: You have. Around my dad
A: Nvm, mine can't manage
B: Well Alice and FP it is

"Alice can come. The others can't," I say to my dad.
He nods. "Okay, let me make plans with Al, we'll let you guys know later."
"Uhm, dad...?" I ask a few seconds later.
"Hm?" he asks, looking back at me with raised eyebrows.
"If she's coming, can you convince her to let me and Betty be in the same tent?" I ask, making him smirk. "We've always been in one and-"
"I know. You've slept in the same bed since you were like two days old. Don't worry, I'll make it happen."
I smile. "Thanks."

August 20, 2017

"Hey hon," my dad says to Betty as she comes towards us in a white stretch shirt and short light blue denim overalls.
"Hi," she says and kisses his cheek quickly while walking past him and then stops in front of me, handing me her bag. I throw it into the trunk and observe her face literally without any makeup on.
"What?" she smiles, her arms going around my neck, thumb stroking my earlobe.
"I like you without makeup," I say.
She keeps smiling and raises her chin up a little. "Oh yeah?" she teases. "I wonder why," she whispers against my ear and leaves a kiss there. 'Cause it makes me feel like you just woke up next to me.
I kiss her lips gently for a few seconds and then keep hugging her while my eyes go on my dad. "Get in the car, you two."
I feel Betty physically sigh after what she lets go of me and pulls a door open. "Hey guys," she says and ruffles Jennifer's (JB's bff) hair. "Haven't seen you for a while," she smiles while climbing into the car to sit next to her on the middle seat, Archie and Ronnie and Jelly in the very back.
"Hey," I say to all of them as well, sitting next to Betty. My dad and Al get into the car too.
"You can hike with these clothes?" Arch asks Betty, leaning over the back of my seat.
"Tell me one thing she can't do in overalls," Veronica chuckles.
"Yes, thank you," Betty smiles and buckles herself in.