13. Dumbass

December 15, 2017

A week until Christmas. Veronica agreed to come and help me pick out a present for Betty, but we didn't find anything. So now we're on our way to Pop's to get some lunch and maybe get some takeout for our baes.
We talk and laugh, but stop immediately after something catches our eye behind the windows. Betty is sitting in the booth, frowning at Archie on the other side of it telling her something. It's not unusual that they hang out or me and Ronnie, but it's unusual that Archie's holding her hand over the table.
“What are they doing?” Veronica asks with an unsure voice.
“Maybe-Maybe we should just go?” I ask. She nods rapidly and we give another look to our friends and turn around, walking away.

A few hours later I get a message from Toni. I'm lying on my bed, staring at the beautiful necklace I found in some boutique after walking away from Pop's. It has a small crystal heart on it and a thin silver chain.
I take my phone on my bed and look at it. My heart clenches. It's a picture of Betty and Archie kissing in Pop's, Archie holding her face while her hands are on his chest. She tells me to talk to them and that she walked past them, but didn't want to upset them. She also says that if I need anything, I should call her.
Would Betty do this to me? Would Archie? Would they betray me and Veronica like this? The only feeling I have is pain. And anger. That's probably why I do the thing I do. I lock my door and throw everything around in my room. And I mean everything.

It's been 4 hours since I found out. I'm still home alone, crying on my bed, ignoring Betty's texts and calls. She doesn’t know I know so she keeps asking me if I'm okay and if I'm ignoring her. And then there's the doorbell. I kind of have an hinch that it's her, but nevertheless I push myself up, wipe my tears away and go to the door. She looks at me with an observing look and then meets my eyes. Her face changes.
“Hi, baby, everything okay?” she asks softly, looking sad herself as she touches my cheek and I don't answer to her touch. “Juggy?”
“Don’t call me that,” I say and I see her wince at my words and voice. I've never ever talked to her with this voice. She has heard me say it to the guys who bully her or one of our friends, but I always talk to her with the softest voice possible, because I love her and I want her to her that.
“What’s wrong?” she asks with a frown, her eyes all sad and teary.
I scoff and fish my phone out of my pocket. “What’s wrong? What's wrong is that you kissed Archie,” I say and her eyes go wide as I show her the picture.
“Juggy, I di-“ she starts, but I cut her off.
“I didn't either,” I say harshly and she winces a little. “Stop acting all babyish and grow the fuck up!” I yell at her, making her cry now. “You’re 15, Betty, you're fucking cheating on me, don't act all sweet and innocent! And don't feel like I'm always gonna be there for you if you lie to me!” I yell, tears in my own eyes now. “Don’t put up that act with me.”
“No, Jug, I-“ she cries and a sob comes out of her. She just turns around and runs away fast. I can hear her cries for a while, bit then they stop and I slam the door shut.
I know I hurt her and I know she probably hates me now, but that's for the best. She needs to feel what I'm feeling and she needs to stop writing and calling me before I go and kill Archie. Polly tells her that she acts like a baby and because she's the youngest she's being babied. I know she hates it. And I know that it really hurt her that I called her a baby.
I go into my room, slam the door shut too and fall down onto my bed, similar sobs coming out of me like Betty had before. My bed is the only normal thing in here. I threw everything on the floor and against the walls, so this room is a mess.

“Jug, you in there?” my mom asks, knocking on my door.
“I’m reading!” I shout, hiding my sad voice.
“Is Betty with you?” she asks. The thought of her being here with me makes my heart ache worse than ever.
“No,” I say, my voice breaking.
“Well, do you know where she is? Alice and Hal are freaking out, they haven't seen her since morning,” she says.
I frown, suddenly sitting up and for some reason getting worried. “She left about 5 hours ago,” I call out.
“Are you sure she's not in there?” she asks with a suspecting voice. I sigh and stand up and open the door. Her eyes go wide as she sees my room and starts scolding me for it.