The Beginning of Middle School

The stress for Leila has been building now knowing she was going into her first year of middle school and having to hide her now bigger than ever wings. Her wings really only grew little bits the last couple years but now it was almost impossible to hide them.  She really doesn't want to have to hide them but she doesn't want to go to school and get made fun of or for people to think she is always wearing a costume. The most comfortable thing she wears right now is an oversized hoodie and whatever pants and shoes she wants. Even for her to go out with friends she always wears baggy shirts or things that help hide her wings. in my eyes i feel as if she needs to at least be honest with her friends and tell them what is going on instead of hiding and not letting anyone know. 

One day a couple of months into the school year I get a call from her teacher saying she refuses to participate in the activities because it requires her to take off her sweatshirt and that she refuses to work with people in the partner activities. I tell her teacher i will be there in a couple of minutes as i need to finish the things i was doing. I show up at her school and walk into the school with her sitting by the office door nearly in tears but yet enraged by her teacher and friends. I walk into the principal's office where her teacher and principal are sitting and they discuss the whole situation to me and why they needed to call me and have me come in. We finish up ad i tell Leila that she is allowed to go home for the rest of the day and that i got everything handled. "Leila we need to talk about being so obsessed with not wanting to work with people and that you need to be less snippy with teachers when they ask things from you," i say to her sternly. "Mom i am not going to take off the sweatshirt when i know i will be made fun of for the wings." "i understand that but honey we don't always get to make the choices. The school knows now why and what the problem is and they said you are okay and you are always ok to take it off as they will not let others bully you for your special feature. If people do make fun of you they need to know so they can handle it."