Chapter One

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Cinder groaned, and turned the alarm on her phone off. It was five in the morning, same time she got up everyday. Only today was different; Adri was finally allowing her to go to a real school instead of being homeschooled.

Not that she really cared. In fact, she almost wished that she could still be homeschooled so that she wouldn't have to deal with the mass amounts of people thinking she was a freak. Even though this was her first time going to school, everyone knew who she was.

Cinder was a mechanic. She could repair cars as well as phones and computers. She worked at a local garage where she brought home most of the households income.

Adri, her adoptive mother, rarely worked. Nor did Pearl or Peony, her adoptive sisters. The only reason they were still able to scrape by was because Garan, her adoptive father, who had died five years ago of brain cancer. The money he left his family had gotten them through the first three years alright. But in the last two years Cinder was forced to start working to keep the family going.

Cinder continued laying in bed until Peony could be heard knocking on her door. "Cinder! Get up!" 

Sighing, she slipped a plain white T-shirt and baggy jeans onto her thin figure, as well as put up her mousey brown hair in a messy ponytail. She then grabbed her phone and walked into the small kitchen. Oddly enough, her youngest sister was nowhere in sight. Maybe Peony went to take a shower?

Deciding not to think much of it, she grabbed the carton of eggs, cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, and salsa out of the fridge, and a frying pan, pepper, and salt out of the cupboards. She quickly made herself scrambled eggs then made some for Adri, Pearl, and Peony.

By now it was 6:28 she had about thirty minutes until she had to wake up the Adri and Pearl, so she would work on a car that was in the garage. Cinder slipped on her crummy old converse and left their small apartment. She walked down the narrow hall to the elevator and pushed the basement button. When the elevator doors opened she trudged out and to their parking spots and storage area-which was where she kept all her tools for fixing cars, phones, and such.

She reached their lots and there it was...Carswell Thorne's car, someone who happened to be going to her school. The car was beautiful, it was a silver 2012 Chevy camero. Thorne claimed to call it Darla. Why he decided to call such a beautiful car Darla, of all things, she didn't know. 

All Cinder had left to do was change the tires, which could be done rather quickly. She unlocked their storage area and turned the light on revealing the small, cramped room filled with greasy tools and parts.

Cinder slipped on her stained canvas gloves then got to work. She jacked up the car, undid the bolts, put the new tires on, then tightened the bolts back on. By the time she was done it was time for her to wake them up.

Taking a deep breath, Cinder removed her gloves and set them on one of the many toolboxes in the room, then locked the door. She walked back into the elevator, pushing the eighth button.

The doors opened again and she walked down the hall to apartment 826. As she entered the apartment she was greeted by their neighbor Iko.

"Hey Cinder! Excited for your first day at school?" Iko asked with so much enthusiasm that her blue braids bounced slightly. She always had far too much energy in the mornings.

"Kind of."

"Oh, don't be like that. It'll be fun, for the most part. Maybe you'll even get invited to a party or two!"