Chapter Six

"Can I please go with you?" Peony begged. Cinder sighed, all she had to do was go to the junk yard and get a belt for a car she was working on, but of course Peony wanted to come along. Cinder didn't mind the company though.

"Sure. But you have to go tell Adri, and be back within the two minutes that I plan on leaving."

"Cinder, you know she doesn't pay enough attention to realize we'll be gone." Peony reasoned.

She was right. "She'll kill me if she finds out..."

"But she won't."

"Fine. We're going to have to hurry then."

"Okay!"

They walked out of the storage room, and into the garage. Cinder grabbed the keys out of her pocket. The two teens hopped into the car, Iko in the backseat. Cinder started the engine and they drove to the junk yard.

It didn't take too long until they entered the old field stocked full of rusty old machienes."So what are we looking for?" Peony asked.

"A belt." Cinder answered bluntly. She knew Peony didn't understand "mechanic lingo" as she called it. They wandered through the old cars aimlessly searching through any car Cinder thought would contain the right part.

Cinder accidentally kicked a piece of metal at on of the vehicles. The noise caused a mouse came crawling out of the shattered window. Peony screamed.

Cinder rolled her eyes. "It's just a mouse. You shouldn't have come along if you are scared of a little mouse."

"I'm not scared...It just...disgusts me." She defended.

"Uh huh."

Cinder popped the hood of the car and began looking for the belt. The sun was starting to set--pale pink and orange light running across the sky. She handed Peony a flashlight, "shine it down on this part," Cinder said as she pointed near the battery.

Peony did as she was told. "So you met Kai today?"

"Yes. I'm not particularly pleased that it was that Kai." Cinder grumbled.

"Well if I told you, you never would have believed me. And it's not like you care anyway. I swear you're the only girl in the world that is immune to his charms."

"He's not that charming."

"Are you kidding me?" Peony flailed her arms, causing the light Cinder needed to disappear.

"Peony, the light."

She sighed and propped her arm on the hood of the car, shining the light back on the engine. "Cinder, I swear, you will fall for him soon, just like every other girl."

"Don't bet your money on it." Cinder yanked the belt free. "Alright, time to go."

"Finally!" Peony sprang away from the dingy car and started walking back to the entrance. Cinder had to jog to catch up with her. "Did you hear a about Queen Levana?"

"No. What about her?" Cinder wasn't very interested in gossip but she didn't exactly have a choice in the matter right then.

"So you know how a couple years ago she cut her stepdaughter, Princess Winter, for being more beautiful than her?"

"The one that goes to our school? What are you getting at?"

"Well apparently the princess has started to go insane. People say she raves on and on about blood on the walls of school, turning to ice, and even Princess Selene."

Princess Selene had been dead for thirteen years. Winter would have only been a young child when the fire killed Selene, so it seemed unlikely that she would even be able to remember her at all.

Cinder stopped walking, catching something oddley shiny from the corner of her eye.

"What are we doing?" Peony asked from behind.

She stared when she saw the old, beaten up, hideously orange, BMW bug.

Cinder walked over and looked inside the vehicle. The inside was actually okay. There were a few scratches in the leather seats, but other than that everything inside seemed fine. One of the windows was shattered...but that was an easy fix.

"Cinder?"

She handed Peony the belt and took the flashlight. Pulling the door open, she found the lever to pop open the hood of the car.

She could tell that numerous parts were missing. But this looked like their chance. This was their chance.

But for now she would keep it a secret from Peony.

"Cinder?"

"Yeah, let's go." Cinder shut the hood. They walked up to the front and paid for the belt.

As they were driving back home, Peony sang along to the radio. Cinder smiled at her. But then when swerving headlights came into their lane, Cinder noticed them a moment too late. The collision happened in the blink of an eye.

Cinder's head hit the steering wheel, and everything went black.

_________________________________________________________

Hello Lunartics!

Okay, so I know this chapter is short and terrible and took so long to update, and I'm really sorry about that. I've had a lot on my plate lately and have only had time to update two--now three--of my eight stories. I hope it's somewhat okay though.

Keep reading,
PrincessSelene04