Chapter Two

CINDER WALKED INTO HER first class...late. All eyes turned on her. The Science classroom was simple. Plain white walls that were covered in motivational posters, average desks, and generic lab tables were neatly organized around the room.

"How nice of you to join us miss Linh." Dr. Erland said in a British accent. Dr. Erland was a short man with gray hair and thick wire-rimed glasses. He had a doctorate degree but had decided to teach students after retiring from, well, wherever he worked. Cinder didn't know many details other than that.

"I'm sorry, I got lost."

More like "Iko ditched me and left me to wander the halls alone claiming that it was a 'mandatory high school experience.'"

Giggles erupted from the students.

Dr. Erland sighed. "It's alright, just don't let it happen again. You can take a seat next to mister Rikan." He motioned towards a boy in the middle that sat next to an empty seat. He had black hair, olive toned skin, and copper-brown eyes. He looked a lot like... Oh stars! The boy she was supposed to sit next to happened to be the president 's son, Kaito Rikan.

Still shocked, Cinder walked to her seat and sat down. He glanced at her and smiled.

Dr. Erland started speaking about how science was advancing, and that in less than a hundred years, there would start being things such as cyborgs.

"Cinder right?" Kaito whispered.

His voice sent chills down her spine. She nodded looking straight ahead, "Yes." She smirked, "And you are...?"

"Kai." He answered, amused. "Just Kai."

Oh so this is him? Peony is fantasizing about the president 's son? How did she fail to mention that minor detail?

"Uh, Cinder?"

"Yes?"

"You have some dirt on your forehead."

Her eyes widened; then she remembered, she didn't change her clothes, she probably had grease stains all over after changing Thorne's tires this morning. Her gaze slowly shifted down to her clothes, no stains were visible. Her plain t-shirt and jeans were as clean as ever.

Cinder quietly sighed in relief. But what did she care? It wasn't as if she actually planned on making any friends anyways, so what did it matter? As far as she was concerned, it didn't.

She rubbed the back of her hand against her forehead, then turned to look at Kai. "Better?"

An amused grin spread across his face, "Much."

The rest of the class passed and the bell rang. It was strange to her, she and Kai had almost become friends. "Where's room 1221?" She asked Kai as they were walking out the door.

"You have Tech next?"

"Yeah. Why do you seem so surprised?"

He shrugged as they walked down the hallway, "I know you're a mechanic but I wouldn't think you'd want to take a tech class. Especially since you're already so good at fixing things."

She smiled, "How do you know I'm that good at fixing things?"

"Well you don't brag...and usually people who brag are bad at what they say they're good at. So I'm just guessing that you happen to be very good at fixing things."

Cinder didn't know what to say. It was as if he read her from the inside out. "You never answered my question."

Kai rolled his eyes, "I have the class right next to it, I'll take you there. I just need to stop at my locker first."