Chapter Four

SCARLET DROVE DOWN THE muddy driveway to their farm. The rain had finally stopped, leaving puddles everywhere. The old, white, victorian house she and her grandmother lived in was between endless rows of vegetables. She parked in the large shed that was filled with tools and her grandmother's old military uniforms.

Hopping out of her beat up delivery truck, Scarlet drew in a deep breath, admiring the sent of the fresh air around her.

She walked out of the shed and into the house, the old wood creaked beneath her boots. She set her backpack down on the kitchen table. Then headed out to feed the chickens.

After tossing the seeds on the ground for the chickens to eat, she heard grand-mére calling for her from out in the tomato field.

Scarlet set down the bag of feed on the porch. She walked to the back of the house. Her eyes scanned the landscape for the short, grey-haired woman among the farmhands. She spotted her a long ways down in the fourth row, with a basket in her arms.

Scarlet started walking between the rows of tomatoes. While while walking, she picked a tomato from the vine and examined it for bugs. When she was sure there weren't any she took a bite, the deliciously acidic taste filling her mouth.

As she ate, she got closer to grand-mére. She wiped her mouth with the sleeve of her red hoodie, finally taking the last steps to reach her.

"Hello Scar, how was school?" Michelle, grand-mére, asked kindly.

"Same as always." Scarlet sighed, helping her grandmother pick tomatoes and setting them in the basket that was now on the ground.

"Would you be a dear and make the deliveries for me today? I need to make some calls, and I don't want Gilles putting up a fuss any more than usual."

"Of course. I'll get going now so I can make it back in time for dinner."

Her grandmother smiled. "Alright dear. Be sure to bring your gun with you."

"I always do."

Scarlet gave grand-mére a hug then hurried back to the shed. She quickly loaded crates of tomatoes, lettuce, and onions into the bed of the truck, then got into the driver's seat. She buckled herself in then revved the engine of the 1978 Ford F-150.

Again she drove down the muddy driveway, this time heading for a different location.

She turned on the radio, "Shake" By Taylor Swift was playing. Scarlet hated the song but sang along anyway. For the first time she actually listened to the lyrics of the song, finally understanding what it was about.

It was about not caring what other people think about you, which was exactly how Scarlet was. She didn't care how others viewed her, she was herself. Now she liked the song, and when it ended she was sad.

She listened as song after song started and ended. Reaching the city, she turned left into the parking lot of the Reiux Tavern.

It was funny to Scarlet. She and her grandmother left Reiux, yet the place they moved to had a bar called the Reiux Tavern.

She pulled into the alley behind the bar, parking close to the stone wall. Shutting down the engine, she hopped out of the vehicle, and made her way to the bed. She opened the tailgate and lifted the crate of tomatoes out.

Carrying the crate, Scarlet made her way to the graffitied door. She leaned against the crate between the wall and her chest, so that she could open the back door.

She opened it and walked into the kitchen. A few chefs were busy cooking greasy food that made her stomach churn.

"Hello Scarling!" The perky, curly-blonde, waitress said to her side.

"Hi Emily." Scarlet replied.

"Did I tell you about the new guy that sits at table nine?" Emily asks excitedly.

Scarlet racked her brain for the mention of a guy sitting at table nine. "No I don't believe so." The two teens made their way to the storage room. Emily opened the door for Scarlet.

"Well he's gorgeous!"

Scarlet rolled her eyes, setting the crate of tomatoes on a shelf. She found it annoying and hilarious at the same time how often her friend was like this. "You do know that I don't care right?"

"I know. Buts he's come to sit at table nine the last three days. He's tall too, and muscular, and--" Emily sighed dramatically, "perfect."

They walked back through the kitchen to grab the other crates. "What am I going to do with you, Em?"

"Don't know. But you better do something quick," She joked as Scarlet shoved the box of lettuce in her arms.

Scarlet grabbed the crate of onions, and they walked back into the tavern.

"Where's Gilles?" She asked as they shut the door to the gigantic fridge.

"Probaby in his office counting his money, the greedy bastard."

Scarlet chuckled at her friend.

"Order for table fourteen!" Shouted one of the chefs.

Emily looked behind her, "Sorry that's me. Iko is running late so I'm taking care of her tables until she can get here. Bye Scarling, see you in school tomorrow." Scarlet watched as the girl's curly hair bounced away.

Scarlet made her way to the door of Gilles's office and knocked. "Who is it?"

"Scarlet."

"Come on in." She opened the door and saw the man sitting behind his wooden desk, in his wheeled, leather chair. "I take it you want your money?"

"Yeah that would be nice." Scarlet deadpanned. She didn't like this man. Something about him always mad her angry.

"Here." He lifted his hand, holding out a check for her.

She took a couple steps closer to him and gently took the check, "Pleasure doing business with you."

"As always."

She nodded before going back into the kitchen. Emily was talking with one of the chefs, a college student by the name of Dylan. "Bye Em." She called.

The waitress looked her her direction, "See you tomorrow." Emily smiled, then continued talking up a storm with Dylan.

Scarlet walked out the back door and hopped back into the truck. She drove back to the farm and parked in the shed. She walked into the house and into the kitchen. All of the lights were on, but her grandmother wasn't there. "Grand-mére?" She called. No answer.

Maybe she's in her room?

Scarlet walked up the ancient steps to the second floor. She opened the second door on the right, the one to grand-mére's bedroom. No one was there and nothing seemed out of place.

Scarlet's heart leapt as she looked at the vanity.

Nothing was out of place except her grandmother's cell phone, which lay on the vanity.

______________________________________________________

Hello Lunartics!

Sorry this update took so long, I know I'm a terrible author :( I will probably only update every other weekend because this story is SO elaborate and hard to write. Please be patient with me. Do you at least like how I'm incorporating everything? And I know it's supposed to be Émilie and not Emily...but she's American, not French in this book. So I wanted the name to be American.

Keep reading,
PrincessSelene04