VII.7 - The Caverns of Ugh

Thus, hordes of white witches reached the Cavern of Ugh, descended into its chilly maze of tunnels, haunted its sinister chambers, and searched for what had called them. Finally, at its deepest depths, they reached the lair of the Yonder Stone.

Over the years, that place had changed. For it was there that the Stone stored the colors it sucked from the real world. So the lair was filled with motes of crimson, indigo, tangerine, turquoise, emerald, lemon, sepia—you name it.

Each of the witchy specters caught one of the motes. As they did so, they changed from ghostly white to whatever color they had seized. But the motes not only held color, yet they also contained something else. Something primordial and powerful.

The witches, now colored and filled with the innate power of the bottled up spectrum, howled as they emerged from the Cavern of Ugh.

🎨🎨🎨

The city knew nothing of these developments far up in the north as it lay in the hushed silence of expectation at the evening of the King's Ball.

The capital's nobility and leading burghers congregated towards the pinkish castle of their master. They entered its pale halls and filled them with the lusty rustle of foreign silk, the harsh whisper of dyed cotton, and the quick taps of high heels.

Tussinelda was early, avid for the tactical advantage of meeting some of the guests before they were stoned.

Lord Glünggi prowled the floor and buffets without much care for the eager eyes* that followed him.

The sound of trumpets heralded king Löu's arrival. He strutted towards the throne waiting for him on a dais at the end of the mighty hall.

Blödu sidled in as one of the last to arrive, reluctant to be seen at such a public event yet unwilling to refuse the king's bidding.

The noise abated as the king stood and cleared his throat.

"Be welcome, good citizens of this beautiful country. We welcome you to the Royal Ball and are pleased to see you attending in such numbers. You may have wondered why we called upon you to come hither, so let us explain..."

With that, he started into a lengthy discourse on the history, economy, and ecology of his realm. Words poured out of him and flooded the rich tiles of the floor. Eyes glazed over.** Yawns were stifled. Minutes slowed to hours.

"... so let us all unite in making our kingdom great again."***

Lord Glünggi, stepping out from behind the pillar where he had taken a nap, clapped his mighty hands, which tore everybody from their stupor and caused them to join him.

Blödu scanned the crowd while he applauded. As he did so, he laid eyes on a woman in vibrant clothes on the other side of the hall. Her red hair, prominent freckles, hooked nose, and rigid stance struck him as oddly familiar.

———

* Eyes mostly located in the skulls of the city's up and coming female population.

** Especially those of the mentioned female guests as Glünggi wasn't in sight.

*** #MOKGA

~ ~ ~

Long forgotten memories flooded Blödu's brain, tickling basic instincts buried under his new city manners. And his instincts cried "mine".

Unfortunately, a lot of representatives of the male species in the room felt similar calls when their eyes fell on Tussinelda in full splendor.

For most except Blödu, the heat in the men's loins wasn't kindled by the shape of her nose but by the rumored contents of her bank accounts, but the result was the same for all of them: dozens of outstanding and wannabe businessmen flocked in the direction where her high-pitched laughter pearled over the chattering masses of assembled city folks.

Blödu, captured by this beautiful sound from happy childhood days in his beloved mountains, left his observer's spot on the fringes of the ballroom and braved the mingling crowd on the dance floor while the king's famous flutist ensemble played the first, tempting notes of Lord Glünggi's favorite composer's newest minuet.*

It took Blödu, who usually preferred the soft notes of accordion and alphorn over the shrill flutes, not long to realize this music fitted the red-haired target of his desire like a snow hare pelt the king's robe. It underlined her amazing chuckles, accentuated her sharp features, tickled the ear like her red curls would tickle his neck when he kissed her. Wait, hadn't his lost Tussinelda been a blonde maiden of the purest variety?

Blödu stopped in his tracks, bumping into a couple swaying on the dance floor.

____

* The king left musical decisions to his trusted right hand. The only music he appreciated was the one made by strained bed springs.

~ ~ ~

In the meantime, a rainbow colored whirlwind of wild witches flew over the northern provinces towards the unsuspecting city. In their wake, the land was changed. Flowers of all imaginable color and shape blossomed in previously well-weeded fields. The dusty grey North Road turned to yellow brick. The former Black Forest's foliage ranged now from deep emerald to cheery linden green, and the trees were populated by colorful birds welcoming the changes with joyful song.