8

"What are you doing here, Luke?"

"What are you doing here, mom?"

She smiled tightly, "I just wanted to make sure you're safe." Oh. This is odd. She's acting nice, polite. "Can we talk?" I nodded hastily, and she gripped my wrist and dragged me outside, shutting the door behind her.

"Yes, mom?"

Pausing for a second, her mood quickly changed. "Listen to me, I'm not going to repeat myself. I have raised you all of your life and you have done nothing but defy me and disrespect me. I will not allow that. You will get your ass in the car and come home with me and know that there are major consequences. I raised you so well and this is how you repay me?"

"You didn't do shit! I'm safer and happier here than I have ever been at home! Just go, just leave me alone!"

I swear I saw a look of hurt on her face, but it was replaced by anger almost immediately. "Fine! I will. Consider yourself no longer my son."

As she headed towards the car, I could only think of one thing to yell back at her. "You haven't treated me like your son since I was seven!" No tears rushed from my cheeks like earlier, because my eyes were dry. I don't think I had any tears left.

I prowled back into Michael's house, almost instantly being smothered in hugs by Karen. "Oh sweetie," she said, forcing a soft smile. "I don't know what's going on, and you don't have to tell me, but I'm always here for you. I'll be like a real mother to you."

"That means a lot to me, Mrs. Clifford-"

"No, no, please! Call me Karen."

"Karen, thank you. I've always wanted to know what a real mother was like." She pulled away and sniffed, grinning at me and resting her hands on my shoulders. She left and hurried back to the kitchen to continue making dinner.

"Luke, what did she say to you?" Michael asked, rushing over to me and engulfing me in a hug. "Are you alright?"

"Mikey, calm down. I don't really want to talk about it, not right now at least. Why don't we just enjoy some dinner, okay?" I kissed his cheek quick and headed to help Karen set the table.

*****

I shut my locker, jumping when I saw Ashton standing behind it. "Oh, hey Ash.." I bit my lip nervously, worried that he would be mad at me, for who knows what this time.

"I'm sorry I was so rude to you, Luke. You don't have to tell me everything, I shouldn't pressure you too either. I love you like a brother. I don't want you to feel like you have to tell me anything." His features were soft as he spoke in a hushed tone.

"Thank you so much, Ashton. It means a lot, it really does." I inhaled deeply, preparing for the hardest part. "I'm living with Michael now."

"Why? What happened?" Ashton sighed. "Oh, there I go again. Tell me if you want to."

I laughed quietly. "I'll tell you, Ash, chill. My parents - well, my parents are abusive. They've been abusing me since I was seven years old. I never told you, I never told anyone. It got out of hand. Michael and I walked into my house and my dad was there and he slapped me and called me a fag and," I had to stop myself before I started crying again.

Ashton didn't answer, he just wrapped me in a hug, hearing his heart beat while I rested against his chest (he was always taller than me). "Luke.. I'm always here for you! That's serious... but I understand why you didn't tell me. It's hard, I get it. From now, don't be scared to talk to me, but don't feel obligated to, either."

"I love you, Ash."

"I love you too, Luke."

--

Things have been getting much better at Michael's house. Karen treats me like one of her own, and Michael makes me so unbelievably happy.

At the end of the day, it isn't where I came from. Maybe home is somewhere I'm going and never have been before.

A/N

Who else wants to punch Luke's mom???

How does everyone like the Lashton? It's obviously just a friendly thing (mwahaha maybe) but I think that little scene was very important.

Spoiler: Calum will be introduced soon!

Next Update: unfortunately, not for another week or so.

IN 5 DAYS I WILL BE SEEING 5SOS AND 1D DHJFSBJHB

Jordan x

Edited July 2019