11

This chapter is best read while listening to Wrapped Around Your Finger by 5 Seconds of Summer

*****

Michael and I, worried, rushed back into Ashton apartment and slid on the sofa beside him. I rubbed circles in his back, while Michael just sat politely, his hands folded in his lap.

"What happened, Ash?" I asked, pursing my lips.

It took him a couple of minutes to gather his soft sobs and sniffles before he started talking. "I'll just start from the beginning, yeah?" Forcing a small smile, he inhaled deeply.

*****

FLASHBACK: ASHTON'S POV

Like usual, I took off as soon as Michael, Luke, and I arrived at the party. I wasn't in the mood tonight, and I figured they'd be okay on their own. They'd probably go upstairs to make out eventually.

My eyes scanned the counter top with a variety of alcohol scattered among it. I wanted to drink it all to wash away the amount of overthinking I've been doing, but I poured a small cup and downed it immediately, almost like a shot.

Sighing, I walked back into the living room, pushing through the crowd of sweaty bodies. In the corner, animatedly talking to a small group of kids, was Calum Hood, the football team's quarterback. I knew him. well, not personally, but being Calum Hood – everyone knew of him, and if you didn't, then you were either a new student or just silly.

All the girls liked him, and all the guys wished they were him. I totally understood why, he had a nice body, and he was good-looking. We had never talked, and I don't think he would want to talk to me.

Turning on my heel, I noticed Jessica Banks standing with her friends. Her long, brown hair fell almost to her butt, and tonight, she was wearing a short cheetah print skirt, and a low, black tank top that showed off her boobs. I'll admit, she looked hot, but I didn't want to bother with her tonight. She was quite obnoxious and clingy – but there was no other way to avoid her, not at this point. She had seen me.

"Ash, babe!" She approached me with her arms out, engulfing me in a hug. I tapped her lightly on the back, forcing a laugh. "I didn't know you were coming to this party."

"Yeah," I chuckled uneasily. "Here I am. How have you been?" Just try to be nice, Ashton. She'll go away once she takes the hint.

Nodding, she took a step closer to me. "Good, how have you been?" She licked her lips. I tried not to roll my eyes. She's trying too hard.

"I've been fine."

"Just fine?" Jessica pouted, grabbing my hand. "Why don't I help make you feel better?"

"I'm sorry, Jessica, but not tonight. I'm not exactly in the mood to fuck you right now." I mustered my most polite smile, and she immediately recoiled.

"Wow, whatever. I'll just find someone else," She paused, backing away, but still facing me. "Someone better."

My heart fell as she spoke those words... "someone better" ... there's always someone better. Someone funnier, thinner, hotter, someone good enough. I'll never be the better one.

I needed someone to love me like I loved them. I wanted someone to kiss me harder than I could ever kiss them, to tell me how I've changed their life. Where is that person and why are they hiding?

Who cares what Jessica Banks says? She's just some popular high school girl looking for attention. And I will no longer mess with attention-seeking girls like her again.