9

NOTICE: This has been re-uploaded due to mobile complications!

I leaned back onto Michael, hearing the vibrations from his chest as he cackled at Ashton's story. His laugh was my survival. It coursed through my veins like it was a part of my blood. I couldn't live without it.

"Okay, okay," Ashton finally said, wiping the tears from his face. "There's supposed to be a sick party tonight, and I think we should go."

"Ash," I sighed, rolling my eyes. "Parties aren't really our thing, you know that."

Michael shrugged and stared down at me, his eyes sparkling with a hint of amusement. "I think we should go. Let's have some fun."

"I don't want to go," I pouted, sticking out my bottom lip. Parties are stupid and sweaty.

Michael did the same, but his puppy face was a lot cuter than mine. "Lukey, please! We don't have to talk to anybody, we can just drink and dance. Just you and me, no one else."

I couldn't resist his adorable puppy dog face, or his red hair, or his eyebrow piercing. I couldn't resist him at all. "Fine, we can go. It better be worth it." I stuck my tongue out at him, chuckling.

This party better be fun.

*****

I didn't think about the party venue before we went, because apparently Ashton liked this place so much he decided to go back a second time. Coincidentally, the venue ended up being the same place Michael and I first met.

"Oh wow, this brings back some memories, doesn't it Ash?" I asked, but he was already gone. "I saw that coming." Michael also left, but returned with two beers, one for me and one for him.

"I don't know, Mikey. I don't drink a lot." I bit my lip uneasily.

He gave me a weird look and forced a smile. I had disappointed him, hadn't I? "It's okay," He said simply. "Just try to drink it though, you'll be fine. I'm here."

He was right. It was all I needed after a week of hell within my family. It had drowned my bad thoughts and replaced them with giddy words and actions.

"Hey," Michael slurred, giggling. "Let's go back to the couch where we first met!"

I nodded, grinning from ear to ear. He slipped his hand in mine and led me to the couch, both of us plopping down. "I wonder what Ashton is doing." Michael peered around.

I rolled my eyes teasingly. "Banging a girl like he bangs his drums." It was probably true though; maybe that Jessica girl from last week or from the previous party, or some new random girl that would be a one-night stand.

"The entire student body thinks he's the man," Michael nodded. "So he could be with anyone."

Our small chat died down and we both just sat together, glancing around at the overly-crowded room. It was loud and I could feel the beat through my body. It was crazy, but I was here with Michael, where merely a month ago we were strangers.

"Hey Michael," A girl's voice squeaked. I watched carefully as she slipped her arm around his shoulders and sat on his lap. "Do you remember me from the last time? I'm so sorry I ran out on you, I shouldn't have." He tensed, but didn't push her off.

I was getting angry, quick. "Who are you?"

"I'm Vanessa, how do you not know me?" She licked her lips. "You're Luke Hemmings right?"

"Uh, yeah," I shifted uncomfortably. Michael still didn't say anything.

Vanessa ignored me and grazed her hand down his chest, playing with the collar of his shirt. "Why don't we go back into that bedroom and finish what we started?"