15

"I'm sorry," I ran my hand through my hair and bit my lip ring nervously. "That was a mistake, I shouldn't have kissed you. I'm just going to go grab my phone and call Michael." Ignoring the fact that I was drenched, I snatched my phone off the couch and left the apartment, dialing Michael's phone number in the hallway.

It rang a few times before I heard a groggy, husky voice pick up. "Hello?"

"What's wrong, babe? You sound-" I sighed, mentally hitting myself. "Sorry, didn't mean to call you babe. I was just wondering if I could stay at your place, in the guest bedroom. I don't really want to go home, and the whole Ashton thing.."

"I know, Luke," He answered, almost annoyed. "Sure, you can stay. Be here in the next half hour." Without saying bye or the usual 'love you,' he hung up.

Frowning, I headed back into the apartment to tell Ashton my plan. I prayed he wasn't too mad at me for kissing him – or did he kiss me? Maybe, we kissed at the same time.

I don't know.

I was about to begin talking, but then I realized Ashton wasn't on the kitchen floor anymore, or in the living room. My eyes fell to the note that laid on the counter. It looked like it was rushed and quick, an escape almost.

"Luke," I read aloud. "I've cleaned up and gone to bed. Thanks for keeping me company. Love, Ash." Resting my head in my hands, I knew I had screwed up. However, I pushed the Ashton kiss aside and focused on gathering my stuff here and what I would say to Michael once I arrived at his house.

Would Karen even want me there? I assumed Michael told her we broke up – maybe not the full story, like the part about me loving Ashton, but how we decided (how he decided, actually) that it would be better for us to see other people. How would we do that, how would I manage that, when there's a perfect human being in its entirety living across the hall from me?

Too many feelings, Luke, I thought as I straightened up the couch I had left a mess.  

I hesitated whether or not to write Ashton a note back, or to peek in his room and say goodbye. I eventually decided on neither and left, without saying a word. I felt sort of bad, but there were other things at hand.

Within twenty minutes, I was at Michael's house. Instinctively, I walked right in, but didn't register I had until, well, until after I was standing awkwardly in his living room.

"We've broken up, it'll be fine," Michael said to his mom, his back to me. "He has nowhere else to stay."

"Luke!" Karen forced a tight smile at me from the kitchen. Michael swiveled around and coughed, instantly knowing I had heard him say that. Our eyes met and I felt my heart stop.

I felt it drop to my stomach as he turned back around and rummaged through the cabinets. "Luke, sweetie, I've prepared the guest room for you, come on. I'll show you it." Karen grabbed my hand and led me upstairs and into the bedroom, literally, right across from Michael's.

"The bed is all made, with sheets and everything. I had to borrow one of Michael's pillows because we didn't have enough," She explained, straightening the comforter on the bed. My chest tightened at the thought of sleeping with something that smelt so much like him. "Are you okay, sweetheart? With the break up, I mean?"

"Yes, I'm alright," I nodded, sitting on the bed. "It was a mutual thing, really." I was lying. "It's just better, for now, that we take a break."

She patted my back gently. "Help yourself to anything in the kitchen. You know where the bathrooms are, right? You're all set. Goodnight, Luke." Kissing my cheek hastily, she exited, leaving me alone.

Not even a second later, the door opened again and my heart fluttered. "Oh and," It was only Karen. "Michael loves you, honestly. In time, it'll be okay."

Her words gave me sudden hope, but at the same time, they added even more misery and burden. If he still loved me, why did he leave me? Why am I sleeping in the guest bedroom across the hall from him and not in his arms?

I didn't bother to change out of my t-shirt and jeans, I simply just curled up under the blankets and wrapped my arms around Michael's pillow. It was all I had left of him. My eyes teared up and I tried so hard to push them away, but they won.

My ears played tricks on me as every tear rolled down my face, making me think the door creaked open and there were soft footsteps, making me believe Michael had come to cheer me up.

But there was no Michael. The house was silent.

A/N

Double update!!

And boohoo Michael u suck

:-( Sad Luke

See you next time <3

Jordan x

Edited July 2019