Bleeding

The trial went on for the better part of two more hours. Of course, the new evidence was damning to Elijah's case. Clearly, it would have to be corroborated by the police (at least the parts that could be corroborated, such as the text messages, Anna's and my friendship, and the fact that I wasn't at the murder scene and Anna wasn't at the Concert Hall with Elijah that night). After I testified, however, others did take the stand. It seemed as though new evidence was popping up left and right. 

   After I testified against Elijah, Camila's sister,  Adeline, took the stand. She shared that she remembered Camila telling her that she was seeing somebody new and that she had shown her a picture of Elijah. Adeline said that she never met Elijah, but that she could tell as the months went by that Camila wasn't happy. 

   "She wouldn't be home for hours on end and when she was home, she wouldn't talk to anybody unless she had to. She was different. I could hear her yelling in the night. I always assumed that she was on the phone with him," Adeline, added. 

   Henry Riles did question Adeline, but he didn't do much. "So you never saw Elijah with Camila?"

   "No," she answered. 

   "So you couldn't tell for sure that the man she was seeing was him," he stated clearly. 

   "I saw his photo. I know that she knew him. I don't know whether they were together or not, but she knew him."

   I loved Adeline's determination. She had the same fire that Cara White, the witness who'd seen Elijah flee the scene, had.

   After questioning her a little further, she was let off the stand. Then they called up Camila's mother, who, with tear rimmed eyes, spoke lovingly of her daughter and about her belief that whatever Camila had been dragged into, it was definitely not her doing. 

   Finally, when all of the witnesses had been exhausted, the judge spoke. "Thank you to all of you who took your time to be here this morning. In light of all of the new evidence presented in the case against Elijah Miller, we'll reconvene when the police has concluded it's new investigation. Until then, Mr. Miller will be held in the California State Prison in Los Angeles with no bail. Court is dismissed."

   I sat immobile next to Harry as I watched Elijah be escorted out of the room. His eyes met mine briefly. The look he gave me sent chills down my spine. 

   "Hey," Harry said, pulling me out of my thoughts. 

   I turned my head to see him. The rock at the pit of my stomach was back. "Harry, I'm so sorry. I know that wasn't what we talked about but-"

   His hands were now on my arms, and he pulled me into a tight hug. "It's alright. I'm the one who's sorry."

   I felt utterly confused as he pulled away and looked me in the eyes. 

   "I never should have asked you to go against what you felt like you needed to do. Clearly, you were right. He's guilty and I think everybody in the court realized that. And it was all because you had the courage to stand up to him. You were excellent," he said, a small smile on his lips.  I could still see the disbelief in his expression, but there was more to it than that. He actually looked proud. 

   I closed my eyes, letting out the breath I didn't know I'd even been holding in. "I was so afraid," I admitted. 

   The rest of the group walked over. The first one that I saw was Liam, who's smile was wider than I'd ever seen it before. "I can't believe you did that!"

   "Holy crap, I thought that guy was going to kill somebody, he was so angry," Niall stated.

   We all looked at him, realizing that what he'd said was a joke and not a recount of the fact that Elijah had, in fact, killed somebody. I knew that at a moment like that, laughing was truly not something too advisable. But somehow, we all ended up laughing, even if for only a moment.