Reeling

After explaining to both Liam and Harry what I'd been told on that cryptic phone call, we all sat in silence. For a moment, I wondered whether it had happened at all. I didn't know what I was feeling, exactly. I wasn't feeling much fear. But I did feel confused. What did he mean when he said that they'd be seeing me soon?

   Clearly, he didn't mean Elijah, who was in jail.

   The three of us jumped a little when we heard the doorbell ring.

   "I'll get it," I heard Louis say from the other room.

   I shook my head. "It's probably nothing. Elijah's in prison. I mean, he's probably just trying to scare me."

   "But he does have friends," Harry said. "I wouldn't think it's beneath him to send any of them to stir up trouble."

   Louis stopped at the doorway, confusion plastered on his face. "Hazel, could you come to the front door?"

   My stomach churned a moment. "What is it?" I asked as I stood. Liam and Harry stood as well.

   Louis only led the way and held the door open for me. Once I walked out, I saw two men in uniform waiting outside. One approached me, removing his hat in the process. "Hazel Porter?"

   "Yes?"

   "I'm Officer Hale and this is my partner, Officer Lindy. We've been sent over on behalf of the police department to keep watch over your residence-"

   "What's going on?" I asked, cutting him off.

   Officer Lindy sighed, his left hand dropping from his waist to his side. "We regret to inform you that Elijah Miller escaped police custody this afternoon."

   My stomach dropped entirely. I felt my heart race up into my throat. Everything seemed to spin and tilt around me.

   "What? How?" Liam asked, his voice somewhat angry.

   "We aren't sure of all of the details. He was being transported back to the prison."

   I didn't know who was speaking anymore. I didn't know what I was thinking. All I knew was that I was dizzy and my eyesight was escaping me. I was seeing black and white dots and suddenly felt like I was underwater.

   Elijah.

   Escaped.

   Free.

   Angry at me.

   We'll see you soon.

   The fear broke me down until I fell on my knees and vomited all at once. Harry tried to catch me before I was in a kneeling position, but he wasn't able to. All he could do now was hold my hair back for me.

   I felt when he knelt behind me, still holding back strands of my hair. "You're okay. It's alright."

   I didn't feel alright. I felt like I was living a nightmare. And threw up a second time. It hurt this time. I was crying now.

   I knew that Liam was still talking to the police officers, but I couldn't hear what they were saying anymore. I was out of it entirely. Even my arms, that had been holding me up as I threw up, gave out. If Harry hadn't wrapped his arms around me, I would have face planted in my own puke.

   "I've got you," he said softly, helping me into a standing position before picking me up entirely off my feet. "We're going."

   I leaned into him, shaking.