We'll See You Soon

May 7, 2015

   "I've been thinking," I said out loud as I walked into Liam's room. He jumped a little in surprise. I laughed. "Sorry."

   "Are you trying to kill me?" he asked jokingly. "You were thinking..."

   "Yes. I was thinking that you should call her."

   His eyebrows pulled together. "Call who?"

   That girl you were telling me about. The one you like."

   Liam closed his eyes a moment and I heard him take a deep breath. I watched him shift so that he was in a sitting position. Then he waved me over. I took a seat next to him and smiled. 

   He sighed. "I can't."

   "You can."

   "I can't. She's with somebody now," he explained. I remembered him telling me that before.

   I narrowed my eyes in his direction. "But she's not with Liam Payne."

   He chuckled at that. "No, I suppose not. But she's happy. I can't get in the way of that no matter how much I would like to."

   I pursed my lips. I knew that he was right. "I just want you to be happy."

   He smiled kindly. "What ever made you think that I wasn't?"

   I thought for a moment. "I don't know. I just-"

   My phone began to vibrate in my back pocket. I reached back for it quickly. When I took a look at the screen, I didn't recognize the number. 

   I answered the call anyway. "Hello?"

   "Hazel. It's so nice to hear your voice."

   I felt frozen in place. "Who is this?"

   "An old friend. You do remember me, don't you?"

   I knew that my confusion was masked utterly on my face. Liam waited patiently. 

   I shook my head. "I'm sorry. I don't."

   "I thought we were better friends than that. It's Tim. Elijah's old buddy."

   Just the sound of Elijah's name ran chills up my spine. I swallowed hard. I remembered Tim. "I remember now."

   "Ah. That's good. I saw you in court the other day. I don't think you saw me," he said. He didn't sound at all cheerful or kind.

   "What do you want?" Was all I managed to say.

   "Well, I've got a message for you, actually. From Elijah himself. He wanted me to tell you that he'll be seeing you soon."

   Again, my eyebrows pulled together instinctively. "Well, I don't think so. I've done my part."

   "That's exactly the point. You did do your part, Hazel. Except, you didn't do your part the way that you should have."

   "I have nothing else to say to you. Goodnight."

   "We'll see you soon."

   I stopped the call quickly. My eyes found Liam's quickly. 

   "He's angry," I told Liam. 

   He shook his head. "Who's angry?"